Brewing With Fruit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juzz

Reaction score
I had a read and found a bit of info on brewing with fruit and thought I may as well give it a crack. Using the below details I made up a batch and after 3 days in the primay decided to rack and then add the fruit. I have split it out into 2 batches, a 9ltr blueberry (900g of fruit) and a 10ltr raspberry (1400g). I was aiming for about 1kg of fruit per batch but the rates of 100g/l and 1400g/l was purely accidental as that was just how much was in the boxes (I used frozen fruit).

can Muntons blonde
can light LME
500g honey
200g carrapills
Safale US 05
25g P.O.R. @ 40min

19ltrs
1hr boil
OG = 1056

I am wanting to see if i have a chance of producing a decent beer so I have the following qns....

1. Have I used way too much fruit?
2. Would it have been better if the fruit rates were reversed as the blueberrys are more subtle in flavour?
3. Should I have left it in the primary for longer?
4. Have a used a crap receipe?

If this is sucessfull then I'll give the the next fruit beer a go on a wheat base.

any thought appreciated

Juzz

Recipe looks good,

im doing an american raspberry wheat atm.

Just pitched the yeast lastnight

Raspberry American Wheat

64% JW Wheat malt
28% JW Trad Ale Malt
8% JW Pils

Amarillo 15 IBU (60 min)
Amarillo 7.5 IBU (20 min)
Amarillo 20g flameout.

US-05
OG 1.052

I ended up with 1KG of raspberries which i covered in 500ml of water to pasturise. I then blitzed and passed thru a sieve 3-4 tmes to remove the bulk of the seeds and froze. Pitched the raspberries onto it in secondary on monday. to defrost in the wort. shes back up to 20deg atm and smeels rather sweet. im assuming this will dry out quite quickly once the fricose begins to be easten away by the yeast. my ratio of fruit to beer was 50g:L or 100ml of puree`: L of beer.

My fg before pitching was 1018 so it should finish lower once the fructose goes, you'rs will be allot sweeter until the fructose goes and become nice and tart due to more fermentables. dont worry, all will be fine.

Fourstar - you are getting me real keen to try this recipe! I am getting this feeling I need to drive to beerbelly very soon...... Thanks again for the PM on this info too.
Cant wait to hear how it tastes!
Cheers!

I had a read and found a bit of info on brewing with fruit and thought I may as well give it a crack. Using the below details I made up a batch and after 3 days in the primay decided to rack and then add the fruit. I have split it out into 2 batches, a 9ltr blueberry (900g of fruit) and a 10ltr raspberry (1400g). I was aiming for about 1kg of fruit per batch but the rates of 100g/l and 1400g/l was purely accidental as that was just how much was in the boxes (I used frozen fruit).

can Muntons blonde
can light LME
500g honey
200g carrapills
Safale US 05
25g P.O.R. @ 40min

19ltrs
1hr boil
OG = 1056

I am wanting to see if i have a chance of producing a decent beer so I have the following qns....

1. Have I used way too much fruit?
2. Would it have been better if the fruit rates were reversed as the blueberrys are more subtle in flavour?
3. Should I have left it in the primary for longer?
4. Have a used a crap receipe?

If this is sucessfull then I'll give the the next fruit beer a go on a wheat base.

any thought appreciated

Juzz
1. No, or rather, probably not. I've seen people use less, especially with Rasberry, but I have used much more with some fruits, and slightly less with others.
2. Not sure. Haven't tried blueberries in a beer but you might just find that it is a more subtle fruit flavour. Hard to know until you taste them.
3. Probably. I like to let it ferment out so that in secondary you are just getting the fruit flavour and aroma and they aren't likely to be driven off by the co2 production in primary.
4. You haven't said what sort of honey but not really. I like fruit wheats myself but a blonde type beer is another popular choice. I would have left out the honey definitely myself though. I like the fruit character to be the driving aspect but blending with the beer. Not saying it won't work, just not what I would have done.

I think wheats are a great fruit base.
I also like noble hops, tettnanger, hallertau as my hops for fruit beers personally, but as a pure bittering addition using por is fine.

What are the issues, if any, with the naturally occuring yeasts occuring on /some fruits? I have heard that if using apples for example, you need to add something to kill off the yeast first, then add your fermenting yeast of choice.

What are the issues, if any, with the naturally occuring yeasts occuring on /some fruits? I have heard that if using apples for example, you need to add something to kill off the yeast first, then add your fermenting yeast of choice.

Not sure about apples but as I always add my fruit in secondary the bulk of fermentation is complete.
You do get some additional as the sugars in the fruit act with the small amount of residual yeast, and presumably the same would apply but I don't worry about it.

You can use products, I believe, to sterilise the fruit, but I just freeze it then defrost, usually in the microwave, and rely on this killing enough of the organisms.
Then again I am a fan of wild and strange beers so if it happened to me I'd probably love the result...

Fourstar - you are getting me real keen to try this recipe! I am getting this feeling I need to drive to beerbelly very soon...... Thanks again for the PM on this info too.
Cant wait to hear how it tastes!
Cheers!

Im getting excited too! I'll take a sample from the fermenter tomorrow (can't tonight as im off to the int'l rules match) to check SG and take a picture for ya. I'm assuming it should be quite brite as they have been puree'd. If not, it will get a big hit of gelatine in the keg to clear her out!

Before racking onto the raspberries, the base itself was great! A nice quaffer for a hot day. So if you wanted todo a split batch by all means go for it! I'd just make sure youre mash tun can handle the 60% wheat without hulls or else you might need some. I had a really slow sparge.

cheers and beers! :icon_cheers:

I use herbal teabags to add a hint of fruit to my beer, have used raspberry/peach, added 2 teabags into the boil, it inparts a slight taste and aroma of the two fruits to the beer. It's easy and safe to use if adding to the boil.

Anyone tried figs?
I have a fig tree that goes nuts around NYE and i usually pull 4-5 buckets of fruit off it over summer.
Last year i made Fig jam but i'm full of jam this year (i have a truckload of plums also).
I wouldn't be adverse to trying a kilo or two of figs in the beer but it's a very sweet additive and strong flavor, perhaps it would overpower the brew.

Thanks for the replies it is good to see that I havent stuff it up totally.

Things are going well with the brew but I am starting to think I am going to have issues racking and leaving the friut behind...any tips? I was thinging about using a new sterilised steel wool ball from the kitchen as a filter??

Anyone tried figs?
I have a fig tree that goes nuts around NYE and i usually pull 4-5 buckets of fruit off it over summer.
Last year i made Fig jam but i'm full of jam this year (i have a truckload of plums also).
I wouldn't be adverse to trying a kilo or two of figs in the beer but it's a very sweet additive and strong flavor, perhaps it would overpower the brew.
I haven't but I'd say go for it.
With the stronger flavour you could always pick a stronger base beer. A dark belgian with figs for example...
Ditto with plums although I'd love to see that plum colour in a lighter base beer too, maybe a belgian golden type thing.

hey I know this is an old thread but hey,

im of to get a couple of kgs of sour cherries today so i can also make a american wheat (on cherries)

I've made american wheats before never on fruit tho.

how long should i let the beer sit on the cherries for? would a week or 2 do it?? my american wheats have in the past been drank quite fresh (2 weeks muturation or so)

cheers

scrumpy

Im getting excited too! I'll take a sample from the fermenter tomorrow (can't tonight as im off to the int'l rules match) to check SG and take a picture for ya. I'm assuming it should be quite brite as they have been puree'd. If not, it will get a big hit of gelatine in the keg to clear her out!

Before racking onto the raspberries, the base itself was great! A nice quaffer for a hot day. So if you wanted todo a split batch by all means go for it! I'd just make sure youre mash tun can handle the 60% wheat without hulls or else you might need some. I had a really slow sparge.

cheers and beers! :icon_cheers:

ive got my soured dark wheat sitting on cherries atm, its been there since just after christmas and most likely will still be there till easter. but then again its a sour. i normally go for 2-3 weeks on fruit

My first new year's resolution - making no fruit beer!

2010 Experiment Summary:

Made a Watermelon Wheat - yes quite an experiment, and I don't advise you do it, or do it but don't expect amazing things. Watermelon is well, watery and doesn't have huge flavours - beer went phenolic after two months which actually improved it.

Made a Berry Wheat - used a combo of tinned blackberry and raspberry extract in a straight 50-50% pils & wheat recipe - wound up tasting like alco pops. Struggled to finish drinking that beer. Bleurch! Too sweet it was.

My advice on those embarking on making any fruit beers would be to show restraint on the fruit and let it still taste like a beer. Otherwise you may as well make a sweet shandy. The best example of a fruit beer I've found that balances out nicely in a commercial sense would be St Ambroise's Apricot Wheat Ale. Just the right amount of fruit for sweetness without being cloying and still tastes like a great beer. I think to nail this balance you need to either find the right recipe, or be prepared to experiment a bit over a few batches.

Hopper.

right here is my recipe,

O.G: 1.050

Wey Pils 50%
Wey Wheat 40%
Wey Munich Light 10%

WLP 320 American Wheat

Im not sure on hop variety yet any ideas I have amarillo, cascade, centenial and hallertau on hand, I assume the hallertau would be the obvious choice, will it be o.k with the whole american style thing? the hop variety will also have to suite the flavour of the cherries.

I see Fourstar went wiyh the Amarillo in his recipe, mate what was the idea behind that?

also any idea on how many ibu's i should aim for, was thinking around 15??

Im gonna let the beer ferment for a few days then rack half (12Lish) onto the cherries and let the rest finish without, then only half will be lost to the beer gods if it turns out shit.

any advice guys?

I see Fourstar went wiyh the Amarillo in his recipe, mate what was the idea behind that?

I used amarillo as citrus goes well with berries as well as the whole stone fruit thing it worked well in this beer. Its a win/win combo. :icon_cheers:

Also i only hopped to just over 20IBU. The balance was almost perfect from memory. Infact, its one beer that those who tasted it always want me to brew another when they come around and have a beer. A beer from two years ago and people still ask me about it? It must have made a good impression. :D

Kicking this old thread back to life
I received a couple of kilo of ripe (tending toward over-ripe) guavas during the week. I think I'll dump them into a basic Wit at about day three. Should be pretty aromatic since the car still smells of them <_<

Che Guava Wit

2 kg BB Pale Pilsner Malt
2 kg JWM Wheat Malt
500 gm Flaked Wheat
200 gm Flaked Oats
18gm Aurora 60 minutes
Wyeast Belgian Wit
1.5kg Guava pulp in fermentor day 3.

I'll see your banana saison StillScottish, and raise you a guava wit. :p
(Just wait for the improved Bluewit through a dodgy hamemade randall full of blueberries)

che guava, nice one :lol:

I had about 10kg of guavas off 1 tree this year but unfortunately my mum turned them all into jelly, I don't think she was keen on my idea of using them in a beer. :(

Its hot, we're bound to get some big storms and the possiums are playing rugby on the roof at night.
Time for a few fruit beers methinks.
First up will be a couple of Acerola ales, grain based on the 'standard' lambic recipe and fermented with the good old Wyeast Farmhouse strain.
I'll drop the fruit in 2 lots this time, 500gm at primary and 5oo gm at secondary with a lot longer contact time with the fruit in secondary (2 weeks +)
Jungle wit is now a standard beer (calamansi/pandan/ginger) that matches well with BBQed oily fish, and next after that is an Oud Bruin soured with fruit rather than the usual mash/aging/yeast combo. Good fun playing with traditional styles and asian flavours - style guidelines can get f*cked :icon_cheers:

Back