Brewing Qualifications

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
citizensnips said:
May sound like a dumb question, but do you actually need a degree to open your own micro brewery? .
No. You dont need any qualifications

want to work in a brewery, volunteer at a brewery which is the best way to get a foot in the door

Ducatiboy stu said:
No. You dont need any qualifications
If you want to be philosophical about it, you really don't need quals, or knowledge, or experience. You could get that 1 in a million oppurtunity and get that dream job out of the blue.. However, I would say the more knowledge, experience and qualification you have, the higher up the ladder of chance you go towards a) getting that job/starting that business and b) not going arse up.

Well...there really isnt a qualification to speak of to start a brewry. Certainly nothing that is legally required.

Except for a safe food handling course that local council would require.

The Ballarat course is more educational than mandatory

doon said:
If you have the cash then you can open up any sort of business doesn't mean you will be successful with it!
2 of my best mates are Financial Advisers, I reckon they could really use you on the team :p

vittorio said:
want to work in a brewery, volunteer at a brewery which is the best way to get a foot in the door
When would you like me to start?

Not too sure how the wife & three kids would cope with a non paying job.
I've enquired about three positions & all but one required a food science degree or chemistry degree, which I don't have.
I just need someone to give me a go & they'll soon realise how passionate I am.
I've had two sick days in two years at work & turn up even when I'm not well & I hate that bloody job.
Let me loose in something I love doing & I'd be happy to sleep at the joint.

micblair said:
The microbiologists earn fairly good coin in breweries, about $20K more than a junior brewer, as for management/execs -- couldn't tell you. Got a PhD in chemistry, and my day job (before landing a job with CUB/SABmiller as a brewer) was developing and manufacturing experimental drugs for clinical trials. It's a cool job, but after being a chemist for 8 years I felt like I was more passionate about brewing. So after taking up home brewing 18 months ago, pulled the trigger last year to study the Grad Cert. at Ballarat and within 12 months of doing so landed a job with one of the countries biggest breweries. Took a huge pay cut -- but who cares right? Dream came true. The other thing worth mentioning is the big breweries employ a mixture of people with and without technical training, so if you've got the itch, don't write anything off until you've had a real go at it, or at least demonstrated (to your future employer) some commitment by starting the Grad Cert. or an equivalent degree.

I did the short course, got to know the lecturer, got involved with the local brewing industry, sent off the application.
Maybe I was lucky, it depends on the number of applicants and whether they can justify accepting you.
I certainly wouldn't let not being a graduate discourage you from applying.
This is kind of what I would like to do one day. I'm an experienced mining engineer (electrical), and to begin with, I wouldn't mind branching over into the industry by getting involved in a large brewery construction project somewhere. The power, controls, instrumentation is very similar to what I do.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well...there really isnt a qualification to speak of to start a brewry. Certainly nothing that is legally required.

Except for a safe food handling course that local council would require.

The Ballarat course is more educational than mandatory
What did you think of the course Ducatiboy stu?

Dont know...because I have never done it. The point I was trying to make is that you dont need to do the ballarat course to open a brewery, but its eDUCATIonal value would certainly help. If you wanted to work for the bigger guys then it wpuld certainly assist in getting your foot in the door

ECU no longer offers the dip or short course for those who don't know already. I get asked about it a lot so I guess it's a shame because demand was there, at least by potential students. The last guy in my class is finishing through Ballarat

Latest posts

Back