Brewballs? Floating Hydrometer..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
I know they sound like a dated Jerry Lewis line but has anyone seen these in OZ? I think they are around the $20US mark but at the rate people break hydrometers...

BrewBalls simplifies the measurement of specific gravities of your wort throughout the entire fermentation.

Now it is no longer necessary to extract samples to float a hydrometer to measure gravities since BrewBalls are placed in the wort before fermentation begins. The risk of contamination is eliminated because you never have to remove the airlock until you are ready to bottle or keg your beer.

Each of the five precision BrewBalls is carefully manufactured to have an exact weight to create a specific density as a function of its volume. The values are 1.005, 1.010, 1.020, 1.035 & 1.055.

As the sugars are consumed by the yeast and the specific gravity drops the balls fall to the bottom of the fermenter in succession until final gravity is reached.

BrewBalls are made of food-grade HDPE and are impervious to most liquids and will not stain. It is, however, necessary to rinse and thoroughly dry them after each use. Care should be taken to prevent scratches or abrasions which may make it difficult to ensure sanitization.

brewballs1.jpg

To answer your question, i've never seen them before.

They don't appear to be very specific, i'm pretty sure people would want to know their gravities in less than .05 increments.

Edit: Too many 0s

According to their website after a bit of searching you can get them custom made in any increment. Still they are aimed at the US clear glass carboy market and those that just care about a rough FG for bottling. Still not a bad idea.

Well they would suit glad wrappers so instead of 'why isn't my airlock bubbling?' We would have 'Why aren't my balls dropping?' LOL

Oh, don't get me wrong, they are totally worth it for the double entendre :lol:

i am guessing these would be calibrated at a certain temperature like a hydrometer, therefore you will need a few sets calibrated at different temperatures for different fermenting ranges, 10 degrees for lagers, and 18 for ales and so on.

So...you see the green 1.010 ball sitting a constant distance below the surface for 3 days and it is ready to bottle?

Surely these are next to useless?

Back