Brew Target Software - Anyone Used It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

As a newbie, i am still to get my head around all the brew-maths with AGB, so I have been looking at various spreadsheets and software.

Came across Brew Target and have also looked at BeerSmith...any thoughts around which is better?

I entered the same Dr Smurtos Golden Ale into each of the two pieces of software and got pretty different results for the sparge water volume. 23l batch size with a 26l sparge addition for BS and 17l for BT...i would have thought 17 was the correct number?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Your water volumes for mash in and sparging will depend on what you have set as your water to grain ratio, or more so what the default is for each program if you havent.

Ive never tried Brew target but beerSmith FTW as I also use beersmith mobile. It allows me to check my recipes at work or create one and know what grains, hops etc I need to get on the way home via the LHBS.

Also its great for when at brew club, partys etc and someone tastes your beer and asks what hops, grain etc is in that. Just pull it up on my phone or Ipad.

Truman said:
Your water volumes for mash in and sparging will depend on what you have set as your water to grain ratio, or more so what the default is for each program if you havent.

Ive never tried Brew target but beerSmith FTW as I also use beersmith mobile. It allows me to check my recipes at work or create one and know what grains, hops etc I need to get on the way home via the LHBS.

Also its great for when at brew club, partys etc and someone tastes your beer and asks what hops, grain etc is in that. Just pull it up on my phone or Ipad.
A mobile version, that sounds pretty cool.

Water to grain ratio, i will check that. thanks.

I would definitely recommend beersmith, well worth the small cost in the long run, once you set up your equipment (follow the video tutorials) it will be very accurate. I am yet to go wrong with it's beer steps and tools that come along with it (so I can only blame myself for a bad recipe or not following the steps correctly ;))

I haven't used brewmate but have seen many forum users using it and seems to be good also.

I have both brewmate and beersmith.

Beersmith is much more sophisticated and I like that it runs on the iPad, however I find brewmate much easier and faster to use and I find myself using it 90% of the time.

Back