Brew Fridge - The Ideal Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This topic has made me wonder and therefore ask the question:

What would be the best to run in general.... a fridge or a freezer or there really is not much difference to worry about it?

Let's assume the price of either is about same. Let's assume you just want a single fermentation chamber.

I reckon Freezer. They will have thicker insulation than Fridge so will be able to hold a temperature better. Also their compressor will be designed for a higher duty cycle than fridge (I think) so should last longer. If you get a chest freezer, you won't lose all the cold each time you open the door.

If you want vertical freezer, you will want to look for one that does not have cooling coils in each shelf. That can limit the size of the things you put in there.

this thread has prompted a question in my mind. Ive just aquired a second fridge, a small bar fridge that ive hacked to bits to get the fermenter to fit in. Ive got a STC1000 (noticed they are charging postage again now) on the way and was wondering this morning which fridge would be better to hook it up to. (idea being I have 1 fridge exclusivly for CC and my large one can freese a fermenter in 24 hours - the thing is fearsome :excl: )

My thinking is that it should probably be the smaller fridge as the thermal mass of the fermenter in it will do alot more to keep the temp stable in a smaller environment.

So if I hook up the temp control to the smaller fridge it will probably switch on and off less? cheaper to run etc. ??

Let's assume the price of either is about same. Let's assume you just want a single fermentation chamber.

I reckon Freezer. They will have thicker insulation than Fridge so will be able to hold a temperature better. Also their compressor will be designed for a higher duty cycle than fridge (I think) so should last longer. If you get a chest freezer, you won't lose all the cold each time you open the door.

If you want vertical freezer, you will want to look for one that does not have cooling coils in each shelf. That can limit the size of the things you put in there.

++

I just converted a chest freezer.
With the appropriate thermo's they cost around 85-95% cheaper to run. My thermo is rated from 2-12 Degrees. However as the thermometer is just under the base, it runs from 5'C upwards. (Aint tested the highest setting yet). Perfect for pouring.

this thread has prompted a question in my mind. Ive just aquired a second fridge, a small bar fridge that ive hacked to bits to get the fermenter to fit in. Ive got a STC1000 (noticed they are charging postage again now) on the way and was wondering this morning which fridge would be better to hook it up to. (idea being I have 1 fridge exclusivly for CC and my large one can freese a fermenter in 24 hours - the thing is fearsome :excl: )

My thinking is that it should probably be the smaller fridge as the thermal mass of the fermenter in it will do alot more to keep the temp stable in a smaller environment.

So if I hook up the temp control to the smaller fridge it will probably switch on and off less? cheaper to run etc. ??

Comparing big vs small fridges I would say your bigger issue is going to be the insulation. I dont think the size will make a huge amount of difference in the end. Also the bigger fridge likely has a more powerful motor/compressor and cools faster, meaning it would be on for longer.
Just my feelings, not based off any actual measurements.

I do like the sound of the chest freezers using a lot less power though.

Fisher & Paykel Upside Down Fridge.

My 520litre beast (you can get smaller ones) uses a 12volt fan to move cold air from the freezer section to the fridge section. That allows me to have a four-fermenter area that can be kept at (say) 17degC and a two-fermenter area that can be kept at (say) 0degC, or just left to run as a freezer.

Or... Brewery fridge and fermenting cabinet in the one unit.

Ended up going for one similar to this for a few reasons, one being it was close to home for pick up. I got a F&P 400L upside down fridge. But if you ask me, its actually the right way up. :rolleyes: I can fit two fermenters in nicely.

Spills, had a look at your blog. Very interesting, would love to get some more info on controlling the freezer to fridge fan. Unless of course you're waiting for that patent to come through... :lol:

There are two things to know.

1. You're going to have to pull some of the inside lining off. It's easy and undoable, but you have to commit.

2. Service and/or parts manuals are your friend. Try Here.

I had considered putting a switch somewhere so that the fan could be controlled by the fridge or by a plug-pack via a socket on the outside of the fridge somewhere, but that would be too neat. Instead, all cabling goes through the condensate drain.

I use a 270L freezer with a temp controller, its great. You can stick a hot cube in there in the afternoon/evening, and its ready in the morning, you can lager at cold temperatures I believe more efficiently, can fit two fermenters in there cause you can bend (with care, and only recommended if you can't work around them) the freezer elements. If u wanted to make an Eisbock, it would be ideal as well cause u can freeze.

Basically, I crash chill, ferment and lager in there and I reckon it would be more efficient than a fridge only because it can reach lower temps quicker and easier, and can probably hold temp for longer without switching on and off constantly.

My 2c worth :)
Steve

Looking at different models of fermenting/ conditioning fridges with the capacity for two vessels each held at a different temperature.

I'm wondering what those of you who use the F&P upside down fridge/ freezer (or similar design, other brand) use for your lagering vessels?
Does anyone use a glass carboy in the lower compartment for the 2 month lager - or is this not possible with the compressor hump in the way?

If you do use a carboy - how big does the fridge/ freezer have to be?
Or alternatively is that where willow cubes and rectangular containers come into play?

Thanks

++

I just converted a chest freezer.
With the appropriate thermo's they cost around 85-95% cheaper to run. My thermo is rated from 2-12 Degrees. However as the thermometer is just under the base, it runs from 5'C upwards. (Aint tested the highest setting yet). Perfect for pouring.
I've actually been looking at getting a bar freezer as a fermenting fridge and possible future keg fridge.

Something similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bar-Sized-Freezer-/...a#ht_500wt_1156

I have limited space so a bar fridge/freezer is my only option and as it is hard to find bar fridges without a freezer section I was thinking about getting a freezer instead.

I'm pretty confident it would work for fermenting with a temp controller but not sure if it would suit a kegging setup.

Would this work or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

What would be the best to run in general.... a fridge or a freezer or there really is not much difference to worry about it?

I suppose with a freezer you are able to crash chill, whereas with a fridge you are stuck with the lowest it can go unless you fiddle with the fridges thermostat. If crash chilling isn't your thing, then a fridge would be perfectly ok I reckon.

I've actually been looking at getting a bar freezer as a fermenting fridge and possible future keg fridge.

Something similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bar-Sized-Freezer-/...a#ht_500wt_1156

I have limited space so a bar fridge/freezer is my only option and as it is hard to find bar fridges without a freezer section I was thinking about getting a freezer instead.

I'm pretty confident it would work for fermenting with a temp controller but not sure if it would suit a kegging setup.

Would this work or am I missing something glaringly obvious?
While those shelves are sitting in slots they also look like they are the cooling elements so may not be able to be moved, in which case it will be pretty useless for brewing.

While those shelves are sitting in slots they also look like they are the cooling elements so may not be able to be moved, in which case it will be pretty useless for brewing.
That one I linked was just an example but looking at the one I was considering it seems that two of it's shelves are cooling elements. I'll make sure they are removable before making any commitments!

I currently ferment up to 4x15L (ex-FWK containers which hold 16.5L to the brim) in a small 150L chest freezer with Fridgemate. Stovetop BIAB. eg. brew 3-4 ale batches over a week-end, leave in freezer (18-20c) a fortnight, drop the Fridgemate to 0c for a week. Bottle the lot (18 longnecks per batch). Usually carbed in 4-5 days (room temp). Into 6c fridge.

Image008.jpg

Image007.jpg

What size chest freezers has everyone got? I am looking to expand and would like a chest freezer that can hold two FV any info would be muchly appreciated

if you want a free fridge, go to the steel section in a dip or a transfer station. you bound to find a few :p lol

Better quality fridge/ freezers have two separate compressors but you're unlikely to find one on the cheap because they're worth fixing. The thing is you can set the temp of each individually and accurately. Miele/ Lemair are two examples.

Back