Brew Frame

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Sorry Darren
I often over react to idiots who suggest that Im a complete incompetent who doesnt know how to do my job. I hadnt realised we were talking about pumped systems, yes of course you are right, a pumped system would be much less vertical. How stupid of me not to realise that from the beginning.

I am so glad that at least one of us has such a firm grip on himself.
[post="86985"][/post]​

You're an antagonistic one, aren't you! Maybe you should stop getting angry at the internet.

I have 2 metal hooks that can hold up to 140kg each, dynabolted into the brickwork. The kegs themselves only end up being at most 50kg each so they don't over stress the wall at all. :D

I made sure a did plenty of prior stress testing. ;)

I've done over 10 brews with this current set up and have now started doing larger 44ltr batches. :beerbang:

devo said:
I have 2 metal hooks that can hold up to 140kg each, dynabolted into the brickwork. The kegs themselves only end up being at most 50kg each so they don't over stress the wall at all. :D

I made sure a did plenty of prior stress testing. ;)

I've done over 10 brews with this current set up and have now started doing larger 44ltr batches. :beerbang:
[post="87063"][/post]​

hope that walls well made... i'd be paranoid....looks great though :D

I think I might retire to the subs bench on this thread... :rolleyes: Too much excitement for me :lol:

My final comment is this. I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't safer overall to have your HLT lower rather than higher. That said, my setup is safe. It is obviously hard to see from a small pic on the net, but it would take some very serious effort to get in behind and push the stand over. I would struggle to do it and I'm 6ft 1" and 85kgs. My kids are not in any immediate danger from that. Nothing is of course impossible but it is as safe as possible. My main worry on brew day is keeping them away from the burner, as it would be on any setup. I didn't want to invest in a pump and so decided to go the way I did. I am very happy with it. Thanks for your concern Darren, :)

Shawn, over and out ;)

I'm not nervous, the walls plenty strong.....

this threads funny. beer nerds fighting over the logistics of HTL's. :lol:

I'd also be a bit nervous about that setup Devo, no disrespect intended (seeing as how some people are getting a bit touchy these days) :D

I have my HLT on a shelf dynabolted into brick, but I'm paranoid about it. In use it only has the full HLT, both vessels are empty here. There are a total of 9 dynabolts spread over 3 separate brackets.

051031_0013.jpg

MHB, I reckon you need to calm down a bit and play nice if you want to win any customers here, this was a healthy exchange of ideas until you came in with guns blazing trying to defend yourself from an imaginary attack.

Nobody has suggested you are incompetent, but this is the kind of place where people should feel free to debate the relative pros and cons of anything they see. Everyone has an opinion, and whether they happen to suit you or not most of us are here to hear them.

RDWHAHB.

Gough said:
My main worry on brew day is keeping them away from the burner, as it would be on any setup.

Spot on.

A similar debat raged over gas versus electric and which was safer in regards to kids. Neither really becuase they both are used to make very hot water or wort. Keep the small kids away. If you fence the area off like a swiming pool, that would be even better.

Cheers
MAH

MHB said:
I am glad you have opinions, but try to keep them reality based, ok

MHB said:
I often over react to idiots who suggest that Im a complete incompetent .............
I am so glad that at least one of us has such a firm grip on himself.

Very uncool responses. Play the ball not the body. If you don't like someones response then use a counter argument not a personal attack.

AHB is for the open discussion of brewing ideas and therefore requires healthy debate. If you don't like people putting in their 2 cents worth on your posts, then don't post.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Gough said:
My main worry on brew day is keeping them away from the burner, as it would be on any setup.

Spot on.

A similar debat raged over gas versus electric and which was safer in regards to kids. Neither really becuase they both are used to make very hot water or wort. Keep the small kids away. If you fence the area off like a swiming pool, that would be even better.

Cheers
MAH
[post="87084"][/post]​

small kids must be a real concern, fortunately mine were grown up before I started brewing - I have enough trouble now keeping the chooks away, as they seem to think my brewstand makes a great roosting tree :blink: ... :D

Could also be argued that they can burn themselves on the humble back yard BBQ.

It's like everything we do. We're the responsible adults it's up to us to never turn our backs on anything. Just think in the same mentality of pots on stoves with the handles pointed off the stove.

Have fun but exercise extreme caution at all times. :excl: Another reason why I don't consume any beer while brewing these days. You're just making a rod for your own back and reducing your own judgement. ;)

Excuse the hijack. I'm sure Aspro's getting some good ideas for his setup now. :)

Warren -

Ross said:
I have enough trouble now keeping the chooks away, as they seem to think my brewstand makes a great roosting tree :blink: ... :D
[post="87092"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:

Thankfully you spelled "roosting" correctly Ross.

Warren -

MAH said:
Gough said:

Spot on.

Cheers
MAH
[post="87084"][/post]​

... Back off the subs bench :p It is definitely the scariest part. I'm very lucky in that my 4 year old is well and truly used to brewday now and stays away from Dad's burner etc. Still doesn't stop me standing in front of it the whole time feeling nervous though :rolleyes: Our 7 month old is just about up and crawling so I'll need to be really on my toes there. Same as anything though, as parents you just need to be responsible and I do my best. The good thing about the new stand is that it is much more out of the way of the rest of the yard and self contained than my old 'picnic table and bricks' setup. So far so good :)

Shawn.

I still don't think stability is the biggest concern with small kids. It's the taps. They look like such an inviting thing to play with for an inquisitive toddler (nice bright colour) and are a simple bump away from dispensing scalding fluids. For that reason there is advantages to a bit of height. 2 small boys have tought me lots about what they can and cant get into in the shed... even if you think it's concieled.

Borret

G day all

Thanks for all the advice and pics, great set ups didnt mean to start a war, Im too scared to build one now ,I think Ill go back to commercial beer.......... :lol: ha ha ha

I think it come down to being a good parent and supervising I have two gorgeous girls of my own and would never put them at risk , what father would , there are lots of risks around the home and its our job to teach the kids about them.

Anyway, will hope to have my set up done by chrissy will post some pics.............. I think.......... if it dosent start a rumble again. :p

Cheers Aspro

PS.
Gough your set up is a ball tearer :super:

Thanks aspro, good luck with yours :) Hope it works well for you.

No real dramas here anyway I don't think - just another good ol' AHB 'debate' ;)

Shawn.

a watched pot never boils over.
equally a watched brew session never hurts anyone xcept the brewer who miss judges now and again ;)

also glad i dont have to contend with roosting chooks.mind you roosting wasps are a pain in the outlets.

cheers
big d

warrenlw63 said:
I'm now able to stand on it and hang from it with my hefty gorilla-like 75kgs. :lol:

Warren -

[post="87037"][/post]​

Well chaps mine is double bolted on all connections in the stand...and Ive climbed my stand for stabilitys sake too...but with a 130kg gorilla-like size

Linz_MacQuarie.jpg

Ross said:
I have enough trouble now keeping the chooks away, as they seem to think my brewstand makes a great roosting tree :blink:
[post="87092"][/post]​

mmmmm nasa burner & freshly "roosted" chooks. What would they best be marinated with ? - Octoberfest or Russian Imperial Stout or K & B Bitter

I hope your using your spent grains to fatten your chooks before the "roosting" Ross :)

Just dont give them names Ross, ok :rolleyes:

Linz - the ahb OHS quality officer - small hb fee only :p

small kids must be a real concern, fortunately mine were grown up before I started brewing - I have enough trouble now keeping the chooks away, as they seem to think my brewstand makes a great roosting tree ...

Chicken beer, anyone?

Just read this thread and man i don't think i have hit quote so many times. In the end i found some lovely ones but if your chickens are getting fat on your spent grain i pressume your effiecny must be lousy. :blink:

heres my frame, once upon a time i had a HLT on top of a water logged dogdey chipboard box, once my brew caught fire, once I put my hand in boiling wort.
The safety argument as been fun to read :lol: wortgames set up to look at looks pretty scary to me and the other blokes with it bolted to a brick wall, i think my chip board box looked a little safer than those little pieces off brewers handy work.

Anyway heres mine. 100 bucks of slotted angle iron and a moron could put it together.

For your life
Jayse

framoe004.jpg

Back