Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stakka82 said:
i go pretty low, .9-1.0 mm with no issues.
Well I will definitely go 1.2 for the next. Only up to 5 batches on the beer robot. I will just try 1.2 for a while, decent balance.

syl said:
Well I will definitely go 1.2 for the next. Only up to 5 batches on the beer robot. I will just try 1.2 for a while, decent balance.
I reckon thats about spot on. I've played around plenty with the crush and find 1,25mm works best, and is easy going for the pumps, Just adjust down to 1.0mm for wheat. Im getting about 85% with about 12 - 13 kg and 10L sparge

I crush quite fine, I have never had a problem at all.

Most of my beers have an OG of around 1.045-1.054 though.

So it's sounding like the grain crush is definitely playing a huge part with efficiency and grain absorption. Time to get the feeler gauges out and change my crush.
What is everyone doing for:
Raw wheat?
Black/roast barley
Wheat malt
Rye malt
I have just been doing same for all (1.2mm) but ill try finer with my base and finer still with my roast.

Speaking of roast barley, I have been wondering how you could add the darker malts to the mash later without disturbing the malt pipe...

Matty3450 said:
Hi all,

So when using a counterflow chiller with their Braumeister what are some of the methods people are using to filter trub and break material, I like Batz setup above but after researching it seems most hopback type units are designed for whole hops. Unfortunately I live in a fairly remote area and pallet hops are much easier for me to acquire and store. What are peoples experiences

Thanks Kindly

Matt

I hook up a counter flow chiller to mine semi regularly (it tends to go in stages, currently putting mine in cubes), I use a pick up tube that came with my unit when I got it off MHB and use pellets. Just so long as I whirlpool and use some form of floc I don't have any troubles. I have never used a filter, I always use hop pellets and have never had a problem.

stakka82 said:
Speaking of roast barley, I have been wondering how you could add the darker malts to the mash later without disturbing the malt pipe...
In the past, I have just placed malts like Roasted Barley on top of the upper screen while 'sparging' over the top. Seems to work well.

Batz said:
You have seen the stainless bench I have for my Braumeister, today I built this to take my Hop Rocket and chiller.
It looks like it will work well, brew day this week so I'll see.

Batz
Hi Batz,

What are the dimensions of your SS work bench top?

I am looking at ordering a similar unit from handy imports in preparation of a possible BM purchase. :D

Cheers,

Clint

clinthem26 said:
Hi Batz,

I am looking at ordering a similar unit from handy imports in preparation of a possible BM purchase. :D

Cheers,

Clint
Mine is the same as this Clint.

http://handyimports.com.au/catering-kitchen/benches/610-x-1219mm-new-304-stainless-steel-work-corner-bench-table-preparation-office.html

I paid $80.00 for it second hand off ebay, I like the extra size for taking an urn etc. I also cut the legs down and fitted wheels.

Batz

clinthem26 said:
Hi Batz,

Cheers,

Clint
Hi Clint

The bench mine sits on is approx 600 x. 900 and is suitable, as you have seen, for the 20l unit.
The 1200 long would be better for the 50l unit.

Looks like there is going to be a number of BM's in Port Lincoln in the near future. :)

dicko said:
Looks like there is going to be a number of BM's in Port Lincoln in the near future. :)
We've just been discussing how successful the "promotion" day was ;)
Only need to get Shane on board and you've got a 100% success rate. Time to ask Speidel for commission.
Get Spog over on Saturday and he might stop tinkering and jump on board too :)

Thanks for the speedy replies,

My current thinking is maybe go that little bit bigger just in case i upgrade to the 50L in the future. :)

I think its time Spiedel paid you a commision Dicko!

3 shiny new BM units heading to Port Lincoln very soon :beer:

clinthem26 said:
Thanks for the speedy replies,

My current thinking is maybe go that little bit bigger just in case i upgrade to the 50L in the future. :)

I think its time Spiedel paid you a commision Dicko!

3 shiny new BM units heading to Port Lincoln very soon :beer:

If your going to buy three BM's I think one of the retailers would offer you a discount.

Batz

Yes, a commission would be good.... did you guys mention my name to your supplier :lol: :ph34r:
I'll work on Shane this Saturday :lol: :lol:

After years of brewing alone we now have a great little group of AG ers over here now.

I sent spog a pm this morning Dan and just waiting to hear back.

Cheers

Dropping a Smurto's Golden Ale on the BM 50L this weekend, scaled the recipe using BeerSmith (which I am falling in love with now, after putting in some effort to learn how to use it!!!)

My estimated efficiency 80% - BeerSmith says 86% - still don't get that field!

Changing the mill to 1.2mm so if it is over gravity I will simply up the boil volume and cube the extra few litres!

Could someone who consistently gets 80% mash efficiency or more please post one of your recipes? Specifically, what is the grain bill (grains and quantities), what is the actual pre-boil gravity and volume, and what is the efficiency calculated to be. I am curious as to whether my software (Beer Alchemy) is calculating mash efficiency in the same way.

tallie said:
Could someone who consistently gets 80% mash efficiency or more please post one of your recipes? Specifically, what is the grain bill (grains and quantities), what is the actual pre-boil gravity and volume, and what is the efficiency calculated to be. I am curious as to whether my software (Beer Alchemy) is calculating mash efficiency in the same way.
I get 83% roughly, depending on recipe. But I am only just starting to take good notes! I will post up Saturday arvo, I think this Smurto's @ 1.2mm milled grist is going to go to around 83-85%

Also guys, this is my first bigger batch on the BM - how much mash water would you recommend for 12.5KG of grains?

Latest posts

Back