Braumeister Purchasing Costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchidog

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering your though on some figures I have knocked up to purchase a Braumeister 20 litre model.

With the strength of the Australia dollar vs the Euro I can import a 20 litre Braumeister and a wort chiller for $1913.52 vs the advertised price from most of the sponsors on AHB of $2499 for the Braumeister only (i.e no wort chiller).

Am I crazy to be thinking of just direct importing this item myself? Has anyone had an issues doing so themselves or is the near on 25% saving not worth the effort?

Are retailers thinking of cutting their pricing with the run of the Oz dollar?

Have you factored in the gst and duty or what ever they charge for stuff over 1K to bring in to Aus?

Yes factored the following:

Price EUR including wort chiller
Postage & Insurance EUR

Price AUD Item
Price AUD Postage & Insurnace

Foreign exchange credit card fee

Customs duty (5% of Cval in AUD)

Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+T&I)
Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10% of the VoTI

Customs manual import declaration charge

If you can get it here delivered with a chiller for that price, I'de consider it. Get insurance I guess.

Buy a 50litre with the money you save.

As long as these aren't hardwired or you'd need either an adaptor to aus plug, or a transformer if the country you're importing from doesn't do 220v/240v.

If it does have a universal power supply, and uses a standard IEC cable (like a kettle cable) then I see no issues, apart from warranty and shipping back if something goes wrong.

Cheers

The old faithful.............everythings great until you need a part <_<

Yes id agree with suchidog with the costs of importation.

VOTI and brokers charges cuts down on your savings and then no warranty on the product might end up giving you more hassle then you wanted.

Other option is to see if someone knows how to build one and get four or five brewers to purchase one each from a builder/boilermaker/electrician so they make some cashola and there you have your own unique brew system.

Sorry that didnt make too much sense. Id first think about saving $1000 then its a saving.

I could probably live without the 12 month or whatever warranty, but the no dead on arrival warranty is the killer.

I went the direct route when they were $3000 so saved 1K but had to wait for 5 months for all the parts to turn up.Another person got their one for about $1800 because no duty/gst was charged.

If you want one just go and buy it and you can use it the next day,you can check it out make sure there is no damage etc.in the past there have been problems with items getting crushed.No damage with my unit but had to have it hang out of the falcon boot to get it home because of the box size.

Who are you thinking of getting it from?

Everything's negotiable.
See if you can get a better deal here. Even if you only save $100-$200, the price difference becoming negligible when you have the local warranty etc.

I bought one from an Australian agent. Spediel have modified their packaging because of the requests made by their Australian agents. The packaging has changed due to this and that is one of the reasons they became cheaper not that long ago - as you could appreciate international packaging is generally charged at a volumetic rate. Australian Speidel agents worked with Spiedel to make the packaging smaller and thus cheaper - they pass these savings on to the Australian purchasers.

Despite the above, when my BM arrived in Australia it was quite dinged up. The Australian agent purchased a new body for it, at his own cost (until who was going to pay for the damage was resloved) and fixed it for me. It cost me nothing but a bit of extra time. I do not know if Speidel have modified the packaging to resolve this issue.

So here's how I see it. If you import one you may well get it here cheaper than what you could have previously due to the work that the Australian Speidel agents put into it. They have probably saved you money.

If you import one yourself, you might recieve your BM a bit banged up, if you don't mind dents and scratches go for it. If you are worried about dents and scratches you're probably going to have to sit the fence in a fight between Speidel and the carriers. Who's fault is it, the company who packed the device innapropriately or the carrier who handled it innapropriately?

I don't think Speidel do direct sales, certainly not to Australia but I may be wrong.

There certainly are a lot of what if's in what I have said, and a few remote chances. Some of my logic may be skewed or even skew-if. I am just throwing some more thoughts into the pot is all.

I bought one from an Australian agent. Spediel have modified their packaging because of the requests made by their Australian agents. The packaging has changed due to this and that is one of the reasons they became cheaper not that long ago - as you could appreciate international packaging is generally charged at a volumetic rate. Australian Speidel agents worked with Spiedel to make the packaging smaller and thus cheaper - they pass these savings on to the Australian purchasers.

Despite the above, when my BM arrived in Australia it was quite dinged up. The Australian agent purchased a new body for it, at his own cost (until who was going to pay for the damage was resloved) and fixed it for me. It cost me nothing but a bit of extra time. I do not know if Speidel have modified the packaging to resolve this issue.

So here's how I see it. If you import one you may well get it here cheaper than what you could have previously due to the work that the Australian Speidel agents put into it. They have probably saved you money.

If you import one yourself, you might recieve your BM a bit banged up, if you don't mind dents and scratches go for it. If you are worried about dents and scratches you're probably going to have to sit the fence in a fight between Speidel and the carriers. Who's fault is it, the company who packed the device innapropriately or the carrier who handled it innapropriately?

I don't think Speidel do direct sales, certainly not to Australia but I may be wrong.

There certainly are a lot of what if's in what I have said, and a few remote chances. Some of my logic may be skewed or even skew-if. I am just throwing some more thoughts into the pot is all.
My 20l arrived with dents in the main body,they came from the lifting lugs on the malt pipe.All they had to do was unscrew them,which they now do before export,was a bit gutted when it showed up,Australian agent offered to sort it but in the end they were only cosmetic i kept it and shes just a workhorse now!!!! :p
What im saying is pay that little bit extra and be reassured by local backup!!!

Bought one from these guys http://www.hellmann24.de/ and imported it to Switzerland (only nexdoor granted but the paperwork is the same). Great service and the guy I dealt with (the boss) spoke perfect English). Don't forget they take of the German sales tax (19%) too and you pay your aussie tax on the net price. BMs take normal computer power cables so just bin the German power cable if you can't be arse to wire an aussie plug on it.

Latest posts

Back