Braumeister 20L tripping safety switch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfxm

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any Braumeister brewers had any troubles with their unit tripping a safety switch? Was hoping to knock out a brew today but every time the Braumeister switches on the heating elements my safety switch trips. All the connections seems dry and secure, so not sure what it could be (i'm no electrician, mind). I'll give G&G a buzz tomorrow - hopefully they'll have an idea and can suggest a solution.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem i'd be keen to hear their experience.

Now, what to do with a brew-less Sunday!? argh ...

Cheers,

Tom

I had this problem when I had other appliance on that used the same circuit. We had a clothes drier on the same circuit and i have found I cannot use both at the same time. So I suggest you turn off some of your appliances and see if the problem remains.

Black n Tan said:
I had this problem when I had other appliance on that used the same circuit. We had a clothes drier on the same circuit and i have found I cannot use both at the same time. So I suggest you turn off some of your appliances and see if the problem remains.
Thanks for the suggestion! I went through the whole house and turned everything off except the BM, no luck ...

Is it more likely to be a household circuit issue than the BM itself?

Try plugging it into a different powerpoint (preferably on a different circuit) and see if it works then.

Sounds like the element has died, or the wiring to it is causing a short.

Black n Tan said:
Try plugging it into a different powerpoint (preferably on a different circuit) and see if it works then.
Thanks, tried your suggestion but still tripped the safety switch. Hmmm ...

That would seem to suggest the braumeister, bummer. I am sure G&G will sort it for you.

QldKev said:
Sounds like the element has died, or the wiring to it is causing a short.
Hmmm ... worried it might be something like this. Not sure what to do if that is the problem ...

BTW it is a good idea to just run it through a cycle (a softened version) without grain first time to check everything is working.

Black n Tan said:
BTW it is a good idea to just run it through a cycle (a softened version) without grain first time to check everything is working.
Cheers ... you mean once it's working again?

Easy way to check for an electronic fault. Measure resistance between earth and either of the other power pins that supply the element (obviously this should be unplugged and powered off). If you don't have access to these points then talk to GG.

Edak said:
Easy way to check for an electronic fault. Measure resistance between earth and either of the other power pins that supply the element (obviously this should be unplugged and powered off). If you don't have access to these points then talk to GG.
Cheers, might be a little beyond me in terms of having the right tools & nerves ... :)

my tip was take it next door see if it trips out their place, then you know what is faulty the BM or House circuit.

All electric elements leak a bit of voltage to earth. Some newer houses will have earth leakage breakers that trip at very low current in the name of safety. You may need to check your ELB's and it could possibly mean replacing them with a slightly higher current version. 30MA versions come to mind. Or it could be a faulty element and I like the suggestion to try it next door.

Wes

Thanks guys ... I think trying it at another house is a good suggestion. Although, I have been using it via the same socket for over 100 batches without fault, so seems a little odd that it would start tripping all of a sudden. Cheers!

Hey tfxm, did you ever resolve this issue? Mines doing the same thing now after 100s of brews. One thing is raining here and the humidity might be playing a part. Anyway the heater even tripped when pluged into the dedicated high amp pool circuit. I'm not sparky but I got no idea, and a BM full of wet grain.

Steve

The rain may be affecting the circuit(ground water ingress). Try a different circuit on a heavy duty lead. Obviously if you've got the 50L and only one 15 amp circuit my advice is useless.

Thanks mate, it's just the 10 litre. Will do.

I've had the same problem previously, and it was a faulty element that was shorted to ground.
Borrow a meter, or find someone to test it for you.

Back