Book Review - Dough By Richard Bertinet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Folks

No affiliation with any parties mentioned in this review etc etc etc

This book has been mentioned in another thread as being a really good book on bread making so I decided to pick up a copy. No local book shops had it (except as a special order) so I went through Amazon.

Richard Bertinet is a French trained baker and the book explains the French method of making bread which is very different to the English method which I am guessing most of us have been using. The main difference is in the kneading (or as he terms it - working) of the dough which isn't the stretch and pull kneading I have been using for years (which he calls the English method) but a lighter method that is designed to trap air in the mix as well as develop the glutens. The risen dough is also folded several times when moulding the loaves/rolls to give it extra strength.

I was somewhat sceptical at first but gave the French way a go. It works. It works bloody well. In a few minutes of working I had a really light, responsive dough. It took less than half the time it would usually take me with the English method and the dough was much lighter and softer.

Once proved, the dough is them shaped using this gentle folding technique rather than being knocked down before shaping. That works too. The dough keeps its lightness and gains strength through the folding so it doesn't collapse when you put it on the peel to go into the oven which is a problem I have had before. Even if you over rise it by an hour because the shopping took longer than expected. I made some rolls with lemon zest in them and they were the lightest and best rolls I have ever made.

This is a great book. Even if you only read the first 20 pages which describe the kneading/folding technique its well worth the price. Some of his recipes are a bit fancy for everyday use (spicy Moroccan rolls anyone?) but they are all variations on his three basic dough recipes so you can make things as fancy or simple as you like.

If you like making bread, this is a really good book to get hold of. I have been making bread for years. I have had lessons from professional bakers. I still learned heaps from this book.

It comes with a DVD where he shows the kneading technique. I watched it one night and drooled over the bread. My missus watched it with me and drooled over his accent...

I also bought his second book (Crust) which I haven't got through yet. From what I have read though it is as good as Dough. If you are buying from Amazon you might as well buy the two together and save on shipping.

Cheers
Dave

We like CRUST ...

edit as I just read your last line...

I'll second these books - they are great. I have Crust and am slowly getting through it - my brother has these book and his bread is fantastic. It seems to be all in the kneading.

Great books and they come with a dvd!

Latest posts

Back