Blueberry Wit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a blueberry Hefeweizen a while back.

Racked around 7.5L of beer onto 900g of those frozen blueberries you get from the supermarket.
I made the mistake of adding sugar to prime it when bottling...carbonation turned out very high, gushers all over the shop...only make that mistake once!
The beer itself I'm quite happy with, colour is very nice purple/deep pink, pink head. The flavour itself is quite subtle though, slight berry with the sort of gritty tannic quality you get from blueberries.
With the high carbonation it actually makes it a very girly beer! :wub:

Ah, purple I can live with B) .
Come to think of it St Jozef (Bg) do a blueberry lambic called Bosbier which is purplish.

id say you need about 1.5kg from experience and i did 500g in 5L of mead and cant taste any of the flavour

Tanga sure you could do it with extracts. Theres lots of previous posts on making beer with fruit.

I could be wrong but Im thinking another AHB user by the name of Belconney makes quite alot of fruit beer (successfully). I think could be wrong but think his a partial man.
A forum member by the name of bconnery makes fruit beer a fair bit, successfully in his tastes at least :)....

I do AG now but used to do extract and partials all the time.

Tanga, can you make a good wit from extract? Kind of, but the colour is always darker and it lacks something.
Can you make a good fruit beer, and fruit wheat from extract? Yes!
I haven't made a mulberry beer yet but it is on the list. I grew up with about 4 large mulberry trees within easy access so my fingers used to be largely purple for a few months each year :)
I think Petesbrew? Or someone, has definitely made a good one.

My preferred fruit beer is just a wheat beer base, a kit or two tins of wheat extract will do fine, a little steeped crystal, a good noble hop such as tettnang or hallertau and a simple yeast like k97 or wb06 dry, even t58 depending on the beer.
I don't want my yeast to interfere with the fruit character, but I like something under there.

I always use fresh fruit, I freeze it first and then defrost in the microwave, and I always do it in secondary. Rack the beer on to the fruit and then after a week or two rack it again for bottling/kegging to leave behind all the bits...

The key is selecting the amount of fruit for your chosen fruit. Some have a stronger taste than others. My strawbeery has up 4.5kgs in a 22l batch, but my mixed berry wheat had only 1.3kgs, and it has a stronger fruit flavour...

If colour is important then the paler the base beer the better, but a wheat beer kit generally isn't too dark.

A well made fruit beer can be enjoyed by beer drinkers and those who 'don't like beer much' alike...
My strawbeery gets made every year cause the whole family loves it...

Was talking to Tidal Pete about this beer over Xmas, and it reminded me to post the results.
I took a keg of this to the QLD Xmas swap after giving it a week to condition, but that wasn't anywhere near enough - flat and the first few glasses looked like (ahem) man juice <_< .
After 3 more weeks it was in it's element, dark pink, well carbed, fluffy head, lite blueberry flavour that blended with the wit body well. I took the remains of the keg to my mates place and surprisingly they emptied it in no time and demanded I make another batch.

Bluwit
Witbier

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/11/08
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 25.18 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
11.00 gm Sticklebract [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
12.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
850.00 gm Blueberries (Secondary 4.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.68 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Calories: 373 cal/l
Est Color: 3.0 SRM

Notes : used 2 cans of blueberries, probably should have used 3, will probably up the torrified wheat next time. The T-58 needs a month minimum conditioning to drop.

Edit there is a photo over in "Whats in the glass"

Bringing this thread back from the dead.. poet and I didnt knowit.. anyway...

Woolies had frozen blueberries on special so thought I would grab a pack to chuck into a lager or maybe a light ale.

Couple of questions:
Do I need to worry about yeast/bacteria on the blueberries?
Should I mush them up before I add them?
How do people normally add them, I havent bothered with a secondary for years so was thinking I would mush them up and dump them in once fermentation is finished or almost finished, might end up blocking the tap when I try and get it out though.
Am I going to get any noticable flavour/colour from only 450g of frozen blueberries?
Last but not least how does this sound:
Recipe: BluebAler

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.80 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.12 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 95.2 %
0.25 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 4.8 %
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6 -
25.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.9 IBUs
450.00 g Frozen Blueberries (Primary 7.0 days) Other 7 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.00 l of water at 69.9 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

450 mushed up thawed blueberries into primary once fermentation slows/ends, leave for 3 days or so then into the keg?
Havent decided wether to use a lager or us-05 yeast.. leaning towards the us-05

Keen to hear more on this also.

I am planning a wit with mulberry's so should be similar.

Cheers
:beer:

Latest posts

Back