Blowfly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Dog Brewery said:
Vlad I got the whole show.

It was a very simplistic portrayal of a couple of blokes who one day on a golf course bet on a putting shot to start a beer company and bingo he sunk the putt. Very light hearted approach with the labels and market research being the key points. Maybe I missed it but I didnt hear one word about the brewery or styles and methods etc. I havent tried the beer but it did sound like a wanna be mainstream mass production production. I still wish it was me though!!

Cheers BDB
[post="86555"][/post]​
yeah i saw it and it was crap.
showed em having a crownie on the golf course. it was more to do with the labels on the bottles than beer.
good luck to them for getting where they are.

johnno

What is to be said for Grand Ridge? :unsure:

Couple of years ago when they first hit the shelves their beers were unpredictable. Sometimes really good and somtimes average. <_< Gippsland Gold was once a personal fave.

Didn't really try them for a few years until recently. I bought a giftpack of 6 beers from the Royal Melbourne Show.

Verdict? They've very much gone downhill. :( Either that or they've cleaned up their beers to the point that they're dull and very predictable, non-offensive tourist beers.

Dumbed down big time. :eek:

Warren -

I saw the whole piece last night and it was very dissaapointing. No mention of the beer itself :( :( . Not even what style the beer is or how they developed it. To add to the misery I had to watch the majority of the show to get to the beer story. :angry: :angry:

Blowfly is about the marketing and not the beer. I actually havent tried one as I am not about to go on the internet and buy a case just to sample one. It was being made at Stockade Brewery but since that brewery is now Matilda Bay Garage Brewery I am not sure if they make it there any more.

I had a run in with these guys a year or two ago as they were using my name in some of their marketing - they told me they were using some other guys quote about how great the beer is and how they drank it but his name was my name with one spelling change! They are cheeky marketers but I think it is the case of marketing and money first - beer.....

Even after my run in with them they didnt send me a bottle to try!

edit: ps Who would do a national TV story about their great product whilst holding and advertising one of their competitors???? Not smart. Unless they have some kind of brewing deal with Matilda Bay Garage and thereby CUB?

Ditto.

Basically every aspect of the beer was voted on by email, then they had it brewed. You can order it online and customise the label. These guys wouldn't know a hop cone if you shoved one up each of their nostrils, and they think that's funny. Novelty value only.

There are a few of these kinds of things springing up in the UK, various 'humourous' labels (eg "Old Fart", "Good King 'Censlas", and "Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale" (tempered over burning witches, no less). Open them up and they are all the same mediocrobrew, designed by guys with pony tails.

The 'product' they have created isn't the beer, it's the whimsy.

I've followed these guys for a while now, and as Wortgames says, 'It's the Whimsy'. Or as I've heard elsewhere, 'It's all about the Sizzle, not the steak'.

I bought one of their cases some time ago (Anzac Brew last year I think). It's just a fairly average megalager clone and I thought it was just a bit too bitter given that it had a fairly low malt profile. You end up on their contact list and they send out regular updates, written in a cool but flippant manner, real matey etc I guess to make you feel like one of the team.

The classic though was Australian Hotel (Sydney) where a beer festival was held over two days of the long weekend. There were lots of the breweries parading their wares, all staffed with at least one person who knew what they were talking about, normally more and most even had the brewers on hand - all except Blowfly which just had a couple of absolute beauties serving their beer. Nobody else, and the girls hadn't been briefed at all about what they were serving. Interestingly, their stand wasn't all that popular, notwithstanding the eye candy - well, maybe late in the day when most of the lads had sampled everything (including a great Hefe at the Craftbrewers stand :D )

Great attempt at marketing, but an awfully average product.

Trev

Rant on:
seems thats becoming the norm and not just beers
more and more companies seem to be ignoring their core product and putting 2% into marketing and 98% into getting a bigger return for the investors than last year.
that attitude seems to end up with the quality of the product plummeting and investors scratching their heads asking what went wrong when nobody buys the sh!t anymore?
Grrrr!
: rant oFF

Latest posts

Back