Blanche Me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am interested in knowing if anybody has a recipe for white beer that works good. I like things simple, so my plan is to get a can and possibly some kind of fermenting sugar and hops.. let me know if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Z.

I recently bottled a hoegaarden clone from brewcraft which included a blackrock whispering wheat can, 1kg dried wheat malt, corriander seeds and WB06 yeast (also added some orange and mandarin peel). It isn't a white beer though it is more like a golden hefe colour.

Out of the primary it tasted pretty damn good, a little spicy but I actually like that. Also seems to taste a little like a hefe. Waiting for carbonation now until I can give it a final verdict!
Will let you know anyway.

I recently bottled a hoegaarden clone from brewcraft which included a blackrock whispering wheat can, 1kg dried wheat malt, corriander seeds and WB06 yeast (also added some orange and mandarin peel). It isn't a white beer though it is more like a golden hefe colour.

Out of the primary it tasted pretty damn good, a little spicy but I actually like that. Also seems to taste a little like a hefe. Waiting for carbonation now until I can give it a final verdict!
Will let you know anyway.

Wheat malt... There is a decent brewing shop in my town but I havent seen any laying around.. I'll look for that. Thanks.

Wheat beer kit, dried wheat malt, some styrian goldings hops to finish and splash out a little on some wyeast forbidden fruit yeast.

Interessant.... thanks dude..

you meant that I can try to add a gram or two of that strain of yeast 3463 correct?

You'll need more than a gram. It's a liquid yeast, supposedly the same strain as hoegaarden brewery. This type of beer derives a lot of its character (most actually) from the yeast. Use the whole packet unless you want to reseacrh splitting and slanting yeast.

It will be more expensive than dried yeast but it's easy enough to learn how to re-use the yeast after fermentation so the initial cost is split over several brews. Prices aren't that crazy - some online shops have it listed for between 9.80 and 11.95. Factor in postage as well. It will make a massive difference to turning your brew into an authentic witbeer.

m'kay... will try.. see what happens.

thanks again 'drew

Tried my kit brew i mentioned above today.

I must say this is the best beer ive ever brewed so far. I will put it up to the fact that I haven't given my lager long enough to properly mature or simply that wheat beers are easier, either way I am a fan of all wheat beers so I couldn't really go too wrong haha.

Not exactly like a hoegaarden i'd say but i'd love to try both side by side because I would say its pretty close in all except colour.

I would love to try the same with a liquid yeast now since this was just using the WB-06 and it tastes good!

Back