Black Mold In Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the mould has come from some spilled wort around the lip of the lid.

A small amount mould is normally ok except if it happens to be a penicillin producing strain and you or drinkers of the beer happen to have anaphylactic responses to penicillin.

tnd

There was no spillage to speak off but about day 3 a gave it a little agitation to help it along.

I use a water bath - actually it is a large bag pressed around the fermenter with half a styrofoam box - and always add some iodophor to it. The one time I didn't, when I pulled it all down after the brew was done there was black mould all under the box and fermenter where condensation had pooled.

Once the chlorine has dissipated from the tap water bacteria will start to grow. Mostly harmless and there's negligible chance of it getting into the fermenter, but for a few cents of iodophor I'd prefer to live without it.

That black mold is carcinogenic. Don't you watch House MD?

It'll give you either rickets, thrush or lupus ... but probably - you should keep your shit clean you dirty monkey.

No it'll be something simple they didn't think of originally... :p

But I bought these fermenters off eBay so they got a good bleaching and I sanitised well before using them. But I think I'm going to be getting some starsan soon

Might have been wet jumpers over the lid. Try wrapping up the fermenter side with a wet towel and stopping just shy of the lid next time.

Might have been wet jumpers over the lid. Try wrapping up the fermenter side with a wet towel and stopping just shy of the lid next time.

I think it happened when I covered the top of the fermenter with face towel to block the light...

Worry less about the light in this instance. I've never heard of an unwrapped opaque fermenter skunking fermenting beer.

Just don't bottle in corona bottles, put your beer under blacklight or take it to the funky disco.

There was no spillage to speak off but about day 3 a gave it a little agitation to help it along.

When you splashed it around, any chance it hit the lid? If so it will have made itself around the threads and leaked out.

tnd

Back