Black IPA with spare Morgans Australian Old kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Hey,

I was given a tin of Morgan's Australian Old for my birthday a few months ago and after demolishing a keg of Bacchus' Obama IPA I was thinking of trying to turn it into a black IPA.

I should have a fermenting fridge set up in the next couple of weeks so I'm keen to get back into it.

I've got a rough idea on the hop schedule (mostly a stab in the dark) but I could use all the help I can get as I've done a couple of boils.

1.7 kg Morgan's Australian Old
3 kg Dark LME

10 litre boil
23L total

Cascade 30g @ 20mins
Centennial 30g @ 10mins
Citra 30g @ 2mins
Amarillo dry hop 60g

OG 1066
FG 1016
6.8% ABV

US-05 yeast

How does this sound? I'm not really sure on using all that dark LME and I'd be open to cut it down a bit or change it up. It looks ok on the spreadsheet but I'm still pretty new at this.

I love a good BIPA, I love a good Old ale...I don't know if an Old ale kit will have the profile you're after...

Citra in a dark ale kit? Adventurous... But what the hell it sounds great to me, give it a shot!

Give it a go. That is a high OG... don't know if one yeast pack will cut it.

indica86 said:
Give it a go. That is a high OG... don't know if one yeast pack will cut it.
True probably technically needs 1.5 (2) packs. I've done a high gravity like this on a single pack, coped fine... Make sure it's not too old, use the Mr Malty calculator if you're not sure.

However, I'd have another pack on stand by just in case!

Hey Fiddler
Did you end up brewing this one up? if so how did it end up?

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back