Birthday Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
Afternoon All

At risk of posting a topic that has been covered and I cant find it (and yes I have used that funny little thing in the corner aka 'search'), I have just found out that SWMBO is pregnant :D (so its now SWCWMBO - she with child who must be obeyed).

So I thought I would get some ideas from AHBs on a special receipe I can make for bub's arrival.
- Due in April/May (Autumn) - so maybe a dark ale or porter?
- happy to go for an extract recipe that takes 6-8 months to age.
- some specialty grains (mini mash) is ok if simple.

ideas?

EDIT: Thanks very much to everyone in advance

Citymorgue2

congratulations on your news, all the best for the next few months and on!

I made a kit-based oktoberfest 'style' for my latest bub (who also arrived in Autumn). This time of year is still warm in the day with cooler nights, so I figured a big lager with a hint of alcohol warmth and a dry-ish finish. I used:
- ESB 3Kg Bavarian lager
- 230g amber grain (40ebc)
- 120g medium crystal (145ebc)
- 500g dextrose
- 30g Hallertau 4.5% 35mins
- 20g Saaz flowers 4.0% 10mins
- FV 20L abv 6.8% (use a good lager yeast, I used WLP830 at 11C)
- Lagered for 10 weeks preferably 12.
I found it to be quite a nice lager for a kit. The malt was nicely balanced with a saaz finish and slight alcohol warmth. I drank quite a number of these once and there was no cloying aftertaste, the finish was dry enough to keep me going back for more and the resulting hangover was quite forgiving. Guests also found it to be non-confronting and nice.
Good luck.

Congratulations CM. It'll be life mate, but not as you know it.

I've just finished a keg of Muntons Mt Mellick Irish Cream Ale and it's magnificent.

It's pretty simple but I highly recommend it

1 can Mt Mellick Irish Cream Ale
1.5 kg Liq Amber Malt
25g Progress Hops
12g Nottingham yeast

Fermented for 8 days at 19c and I was drinking it out of the keg 2 days later.

It's got a nice dark reddish-brown colour with a very creamy head on it. I think some time in the bottle would only improve it but it only lasted a few weeks in my keg. :chug:

Firstly, congratulations!

Now, I did just this so two extract based recipes spring to mind of mine, Baby Bock and Pregnant Pause Porter.

These were both extract with use of the Morgans specialty range or whatever they are called, and some grains. The Baby Bock particular was fantastic after 8 months, made me wish I'd saved more...

Neither of them are necessarily really true to style but they are pretty close.

I'd make them differently now, AG aside, use more specialty grains and other things, but they are good quick and easy recipes that will age nicely.

I'll throw in my extract belgian dark as it is a good ager too...

Pregnant Pause Porter - 19L approx 4.8%

1.5kg Morgans Dark Unhopped LME. 1kg Morgans Chocolate Malt. 1kg Morgans Dark Crystal Malt. 250g dark dry malt extract. 50g Cascade Hop pellets. Small amount of tettnager hop cones. SAFALE S-04 Yeast

750g Dark Unhopped LME, 250g dark DME, 25g Cascade at 60. 15g Cascade at 30. 1kg tin Chocolate Malt at 15. 1kg tin Dark Crystal Malt, 750g Dark Unhopped LME, 10g Cascade at 5. Small amount of tettnager hop cones at 2

Baby Bock -21L approx 5.8%

2.5kg Light DME. 500g Dark DME. 1kg Morgans Chocolate Malt. 50g Hallertau hop pellets. 50g Saaz hop pellets. Morgans Lager Yeast (but use a better one like s-198 or liquid perhaps)

500g LightDME & 500g Dark DME at 60. 50g Hallertau hops at 60. 25g Saaz hops at 60. 25g Saaz hops at 30. 2kg Light DME and tin of Chocolate Malt at 15

Belgian Dark Ale

Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 6.46 L
OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 19.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Black Rock (3.0 SRM) Extract 53.3 %
0.60 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.7 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.20 kg Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.20 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.18 kg Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
20.00 gm Sticklebract [11.50%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
20.00 gm Smaragd [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
20.00 gm Smaragd [8.00%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
30.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 2.0 min) Misc
0.80 kg Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 14.2 %

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 1.82 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 4.76 L of water at 54.1 C 50.0 C 30 min

Saccharification Heat to 67.8 C over 15 min 67.8 C 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Ignore the fancy mash thing. That's beersmiths way of saying start the grains in just under 5L of water at around 50 for 30 minutes, raise up slowly to around 70 then up again for 10 minutes.

Alternatively you could just minimash them all at around 70 for 45 minutes or so, I was just playing with techniques...

So I thought I would get some ideas from AHBs on a special receipe I can make for bub's arrival.
- Due in April/May (Autumn) - so maybe a dark ale or porter?
- happy to go for an extract recipe that takes 6-8 months to age.
- some specialty grains (mini mash) is ok if simple.

ideas?

I made a fairly decent Porter to celebrate the arrival of our daughter recently.
It's called Sophie's Special Porter, it's a K&K&K&K recipe ( Kit & kilo&kilo&kilo )

Muntons Nut Brown Ale kit
1 kg Morgans Caramalt
1/2 kg Morgans Dark Crystal
1/2 kg Amber LME
1 kg Crystal grain
50 g Goldings ( equal parts @ 45, 25 and 15 min )
25 g Fuggles ( @ 5 min )
English Ale yeast

The kit is quite dark at 90-100 ebc so the result was quite the dark colour of porter.
Took about 3 hours to make though as I steeped the grain for a good hour,
then started the boil with the runnings. And it wasn't cheap either at over $50 for the ingredients.

Latest posts

Back