Binary Beer "smart" kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh yeah....
I missed that post entirely. Kill this thread mods.

It expands your body's ability empowering you to perform with higher vitality and gives you and your accomplice a brilliant sexual ordeal

Skin cream loves your ambitions to please ones disfuction endeavours

As the craft brewery, what would be the main concerns from your end? I'd say temperature of transport/storage, and time since it was packaged.

Surely there's a simple stick on solution for these sort of things, similar to the postal shock indicators that mythbusters use for everything. There should be some sort of chemical reaction that you can use to judge a high temperature exposure situation, and time should be straight forward.

Doesn't help with how full the keg is, but is anyone really worried about that? The bar will just change kegs, and the sorts of bars that serve craft beer are probably going to put a different beer on anyway.

Not a simple solution. Add in the heat stress applied to the keg at cleaning and filling, the physical stress of a pressure vessel through a logistics chain and trade abuse ... it leaves nothing simple to the efforts

As the craft brewery, what would be the main concerns from your end? I'd say temperature of transport/storage, and time since it was packaged.

Surely there's a simple stick on solution for these sort of things, similar to the postal shock indicators that mythbusters use for everything. There should be some sort of chemical reaction that you can use to judge a high temperature exposure situation, and time should be straight forward.

Doesn't help with how full the keg is, but is anyone really worried about that? The bar will just change kegs, and the sorts of bars that serve craft beer are probably going to put a different beer on anyway.

I think the point is that any analogue solution for monitoring keg temp can not be monitored by the brewery, and its likely the brewery who cares more about the quality of the beer being poured, after all its their brand on the tap handle.

The idea is that the brewery would possibly recall any product that has spent to long above temp x as it will be below an acceptable standard. It could also help the brewery target venues or distributors that are not properly storing and transporting the beer and educate them. It would help keep everyone in the supply chain on their toes.

With solution that is not phoning home, this could be quite difficult to do without a lot of buy in from the venue or distributor and while it would probably be cheaper to implement, I dont think it would carry the same benefits.

I also have incredible potential. Do you have a website you could link from where we can get this wonderful cream?

Last edited:
Not a simple solution. Add in the heat stress applied to the keg at cleaning and filling, the physical stress of a pressure vessel through a logistics chain and trade abuse ... it leaves nothing simple to the efforts

I was thinking more of a single use thing that the brewer slaps on his keg as soon as it's filled. It seems this stuff already exists. Link

I think the point is that any analogue solution for monitoring keg temp can not be monitored by the brewery, and its likely the brewery who cares more about the quality of the beer being poured, after all its their brand on the tap handle.

I agree with this, but there are other ways to deal with the problem. For example, ensuring your kegs are delivered cold and stored cold straight away, having a personal relationship with the venue so you can have some confidence in them treating your product correctly, educating the venue and the staff on why this is important. Not necessarily practical at a larger scale but I imagine many of the micro's/nano's out there are probably already doing this without thinking about it.

The product being launched may well be a good solution for the problem, but the price per unit/keg and the robustness will be the deciding factor on whether this system works as intended.

Seriously? Wouldn’t it be better to delete or hide the second thread on this subject rather than merge it with this one? It became an off topic piss take after post #2 and doesn’t really fit in or add anything useful here .

Good to see that Michael explored my suggestion of using the acoustic response to estimate the fill level. It makes sense to have a solution that requires no internal components or modification to the keg.

It's a very elegant solution. I wonder how quickly the algorithm adapts to different kegs and how close the estimate is?