• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Big W - Tins For $7

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
I went to Big W Chermside today and noted that tins of goo (coopers, tooheys and others) for $7 a pop as a "managers" special. Not sure if this only applies to Chermside, but thought I'd put this out the for anyone looking for cheap goo. Certainly easier to find that any "clearance" specials from Coles.
:excl:

Hoping not BigW/Woolies are to dump the homebrew stuff as well?

I went for a walk into the city the other day at lunch time and checked out Coles and Bi-Lo at Broadway in Sydney and they were already out of all homebrew stuff. Don't really brew kits & kilo anymore but thought it would be great to pick up some cheap cans for base kits to play with new (to me) hops.
Hopefully BigW and Woolies and Kmart will keep it still.

thanks
Bjorn

I went for a walk into the city the other day at lunch time and checked out Coles and Bi-Lo at Broadway in Sydney and they were already out of all homebrew stuff. Don't really brew kits & kilo anymore but thought it would be great to pick up some cheap cans for base kits to play with new (to me) hops.
Hopefully BigW and Woolies and Kmart will keep it still.

thanks
Bjorn

Probably OT (and I'm the OP), but if you like to experiment with hops - 1. Go to CB - their range is fantastic - I never knew how many different varieties existed and it was fantastic fun to find out so much and 2. Try Citra - wonderful fruity flavour and aroma. Go to recipe DB - there are 2 Citra recipes (one mine) and both are fantastic.

Is that the Citra SMASH one?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;recipe=1221

Haven't tried Citra hops yet, guess that's another one to try on a simple recipe or a kit beer just to try the hop profile.
I find Amarillo very recognisable, very high profile and good at Golden Ale kind of things.
Saaz is also very easy to recognise, Galaxy the same.
But how does Citra compare, is it a very strong hop like Galaxy?

thanks
Bjorn

Up here in Rob Oakeshott territory (sorry for voting the speech making bugger in) Big W has all its HB stuff on special. Even the beginner kits etc, are reduced. Coopers etc must be spewing! Thats alot less outlets for their stuff.

Local AHB's will be happy though.

Is that the Citra SMASH one?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;recipe=1221

Haven't tried Citra hops yet, guess that's another one to try on a simple recipe or a kit beer just to try the hop profile.
I find Amarillo very recognisable, very high profile and good at Golden Ale kind of things.
Saaz is also very easy to recognise, Galaxy the same.
But how does Citra compare, is it a very strong hop like Galaxy?

thanks
Bjorn

That's the one. There is also one here, that donburke has put up. Looks a great recipe.

Citra has much the same profile as Amarillo - fruity, recognisable but despite high IBU, not high on perceived bitterness. The guys at CB recommended it when I was looking for some Riwaka (which they didn't have that day). I'm really quite happy with it - fantastic fruit salad taste.

I also rate Nelson Sauvignon highly, but I'm finding that it polarises people. Personally I love it, but I do use it sparingly - I don't overdo it. It will kill a beer if you do. And don't use it with Saaz or other noble hops - it just dominates them. It has a gooseberry and grape flavour and I have a pale beer I made with it that is akin to a white wine. The mrs loves it and wants me to do it again, which is a big call from her.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the bold American hops at the moment. Good fruity flavours, bitterness that isn't nasty, but balanced.

thanks
Bjorn

Conspiracy theory follows . . . . .

If they bump Coopers/HB from the shelves of Big W and Woolworths, they can continue to push their own "platinum bland" range in their bottleshops.

Possible????

Cheers

Picked up a coopers Mexican in woolies Macquarie centre today for 8$
Hard to walk past even for a converted biab addict
Date was may 2012 too ...
Maybe woolies group have special on now ??

I checked the BigW catalogue and sure enough they have home brew stuff on special. probably not getting rid of it like coles were, just shifting some units.
The best thing about the sale is that Coopers 500g DME is $2.44 (at least in SA it is) which makes it $4.90/kg. it doesn't get much better than that (if at all!)

Same price at my local. Grabbed some to top up a beer that came under OG due to, erm, a number of factors and some for starters.

I don't brew for kits anymore, but I have a mate that I am just getting started with it. I picked up 6 cans of Coopers Pale and 6 boxes of #2 Brew Enhancer...got change back from $100

Went to Kmart the other night for a Coops Canadian Blond for my Citra Experement.
everything was marked down, got some be1 for 4$ each and a new "bottler" with useless tape for 4$, etc,.. the whole range is on special.. one wonders if this is the end of home brew at regular shops.

yep, been tyying to get coopers gel bottles from coles for weekswith no luck. rang coopers customer servicein adelaideand they confirmed that coles no longer buying stuff from them.chick saiid that only other buyer in melbourne is BigW/woolworths/safeway. anyone spotted coopers gel bottles in these supermarkets in the northern suburbs of melbourne, circa preston or heidelberg

A week later and the entire range of homr brew gear at Kmart QLD Mt Omnney is still on special!

A week later and the entire range of homr brew gear at Kmart QLD Mt Omnney is still on special!

Wish they'd try that up here in the Northern burbs - it's like they look at the shops and think "if it's a 41xx postcode, it's going on special, if it's a 40xx - aah they can afford it" which is complete bollocks really.

Goomba

ta Du99 for reply., have tried kmart at northlands a few times over the last year with no joy. any other brewers out there who have bought coopers gel 750s from a supermarket in the northern suburbs recently?

ta Du99 for reply., have tried kmart at northlands a few times over the last year with no joy. any other brewers out there who have bought coopers gel 750s from a supermarket in the northern suburbs recently?
inner northern suburbs of melbourne that is

Latest posts

Back