BIAB French Saison Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresston24

Reaction score
I may need to post in the recipe forum, but wanted to see if anyone had a good BIAB French Saison recipe for a 19L batch. I would like the abv% to be somewhere between 7-8%

Belgian Saison? The French equivalent would probably be Biere de Garde. Or do you mean some kind of hybrid?

Most good farmhouse ales are brewed with a simple grain bill, a simple hop schedule and an appropriate yeast. It is worth noting that the yeast is the hero of this style, and hence shouldn't (in my opinion) have loads of hops in there.

My standard Belgian recipe is 74% pilsner, 14% wheat and 12% Munich with a saaz addition at 60 minutes and a small 15 minute addition to give me no more than 20 IBUs (sometimes I add orange and coriander and sometimes I don't).

Lots of others brew the style with only pilsner and wheat.

Why not try pilsner, wheat and Munich at 74/14/12% with a bittering addition at 60 and a flavour addition at about 5-10 minutes (saaz or hallertauer would be my choice). Ferment with the wyeast french saison strain #3711. Start it at the lower end of it's temperature range, then increase to about 23/4 degrees after a few days to get those funky flavours necessary to the style.

My only question is why do you want it to be so strong?

JD

Saison is French for season, it was first brewed in france

Sippa said:
Incorrect, it was first brewed in French speaking areas of Belgium

Sippa said:
Yes, it is a French word and French is what is spoken in Wallonia, the region of Belgium from whence the style originated.

My tip for a high OG saison would be cane sugar up to 10% to ensure a dryer finish than a non-adjunct, all malt recipe would be.

I like to keep Saison pretty simple usually just pale and wheat malt somewhere between 80/20-90/10 depending on what I have.
Simple hop schedule with IBUs between 20-30 and hard water is OK for the style but can make for some harshness if overdone.
Bear in mind that due to the serious attenuation of Saison yeast you'll only need a grain bill for a regular 4-5% lager/ale.
A small sugar addition is fine as mentioned.

The 3711 (and other saison/farmhouse yeasts) are hungry little buggers. You could get away without da sugaz and just mash low and slow, although the yeasts will more often than not dry it out without any adjuncts.

As per above, yeast is the true winner in these beers, so simple grist and hop schedule is all you need.

3726 is a delicious yeast when you can get your hands on it.

FWIW I recently brewed a slightly interpreted BIAB version of the 'Saison Ale' listed in the May-June 2012 BYO mag.

It got demolished by some of my friends out of the keg, and I'm looking forward to a the few bottles I reserved over the next couple of weeks.

Back