biab barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
After some tips and advice from anyone who has done a biab barley wine. I haven't settled in a recipe yet so also interested if anyone has a good American barleywine recipe worth sharing. Have heard people say a double mash might be the way to go others say it's not necessary. I will have dme on hand to up gravity if needed . Really just after General thoughts comments and experiences. Ok go!

Oh and I Use a 40l exposed element birko urn.

I also BIAB in a 40 L urn & have considered doing a barley wine using a normal sized grain bill with a reduced water volume & a 2hr boil.

Many ways to do it I guess.

I'm thinking of doing one very soon and aging it until next christmas with some toasted oak
I'll probably start with around 45L of strike water and a huge grain bill then boil down to my 23L into cube
Possibly may also add some lme to bump up the gravity

If you get a chance to try Bright Brewerys barlywine it is AMAZING! It includes some rye and is aged on French oak. Not sure it's still available though.

I did a 3V of this a few months back and think that it wouldn't be too different with BIAB.

I did 11.5l into fermenter. For my MT, used about 5kg of grain with a normal mash thickness (3/kg). Sparged slowly with very little water to get a high pre-boil of around 1.060. I then boiled until I was happy with where I thought the FG would get, and added my late hop additions and honey for my recipe. Boil time about 2.5h I thnk.

Same principles would apply to BIAB. Lots of grain, squeeze as much liquid out as you can, don't oversparge (if at all) and boil it for bloody ages to get it down.

I think getting 23l out in a 40l urn would be a stretch though. You'd need about 9kg of grain so taking into account grain absorbtion the urn would be living life on the edge.

IsonAd said:
I'm also thinking of aging half the batch on oak. What type of oak are you thinking spork?

Also FYI a bit more info about biab barleywines in this thread:http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/65491-biab-barleywine/

I'll be bottle conditioning mine so will probably need to consider adding more yeast to bottling bucket.
I've got about 3kg of these http://www.suber-lefort.com.au/#ministaves with a heavy toast
and also have 5kg of barrel end cuts from Roll Out The Barrel cooperage at Clontarf, I test toasted some of these on Sunday and it came out amazing
So either one of those, not quite sure yet
I did 2.5L of Baltic Porter on a small Suber Lefort mini stave a while ago and it tasted brilliant after a month of aging

I have done a barley wine in BIAB, whist I don't have a recipe off the top of my head, the process is going to be the one to do your head in.

For myself I was able to squeeze almost 10kg of grain into the pot, but due to the increased volume and absorbsion, after the mash I ran off about 12L to a secondary bucket, then basically mashed in again with more hot water, to rinse the grain.

I ended up with alot of pot juggling and a bad efficiency, but I did manage a 10.5% beer.

Whenever I do it again, I will be going with more like 7kg of grain and adding a can of LME to the boil to up the gravity.

joshuahardie said:
I have done a barley wine in BIAB, whist I don't have a recipe off the top of my head, the process is going to be the one to do your head in.

For myself I was able to squeeze almost 10kg of grain into the pot, but due to the increased volume and absorbsion, after the mash I ran off about 12L to a secondary bucket, then basically mashed in again with more hot water, to rinse the grain.

I ended up with alot of pot juggling and a bad efficiency, but I did manage a 10.5% beer.

Whenever I do it again, I will be going with more like 7kg of grain and adding a can of LME to the boil to up the gravity.
I didn't make a barley wine but I think this extends to any high gravity brewing and my experiences pretty much match this.

I followed a recipe for a Yeti clone in beersmith and didn't check the efficiency which was set to 75% which I'd struggle to meet on regular strength batches.

I would aim for no more than 60% efficiency at 1.090 in future batches.

hi

I regularly do high gravity biab in a crown urn. efficiency not too bad.

11kg of grain in 25l strike. 2 hour mash with intermittent stirring. then remove drain and do 2 8 to 10 litre batch sparges in another pot or food safe bucket. put all runnings into kettle. should be 1070 or above.

then here is the cool part. if u want a 1120 beer get some pots from the kitchen and put a few litres in each. boil them on the kitchen stove. you triple or quadruple your evaporation depending on how many you use. within 2 hours you should be over 1100. then some extract to make up the rest.

it is agreat way to use up excess grain stocks for a keeping beer. Just 3 more pots to rinse out but it's only the occasional brew. remember to squeeze the bag after each sparge.

good luck

Mark

Cheers Mark

How does the bag hold up with 11kg of grain?. I reckon the most I've done is 8 and it was a struggle.

Back