Best Way To Fit An Aquarium Heater In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rebel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,wonderful site this is
I have been given a aquarium heater 75W and I am wondering if anyone has ever fitted one before in their fermenter or knows of a good way of fitting one .

:chug:

Holy bubbling yeasts,(had to do it!)

The most mentioned way of using the heater is to place the fermenter into a tray of water 3 inches deep and place the heater into the water and maintain the temp that a way

there's been too much talk of the aquarium heater getting sections of the wort too hot ( you can see them working in a fishtank) i run one in the tray around the fermenter... .

GSR,

That's definitely right. I have a heater in my 200l aquarium and you can see the hot water coming off the heater and hanging around there. The instructions on the box say to direct the water pump or some water flow onto the heater to distribute the warm water evenly. Some fish just hang out at that end of the tank because it is warmer.

In your fermenter, that would mean the brew around the heater would be fermenting at several degrees higher than the temperature on the thermostat...not ideal.

Much better to warm the water around the fermenter as you and Linz suggest. One thought though, you are supposed to operate the heaters vertically. Don't know if this is a safety recommendation. It may just be because it generates its own water current that way and it's perfectly safe horizontally. To operate it vertically you would need a pretty deep basin. You can't have any of it sticking out of the water or they crack.

deebee: mines been lying down for quite some time.. i think its got something to do with water getting into them... the more expensive ones generally dont have that in the directions i believe..

200L? bah.... its a baby :)

Back