Best Way To Check If Kegs Are Setup Correctly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried using all three kegs I have with all three gas lines and disconnects, and no gas seems to be coming out of the posts when i attach the disconnect and open the lid.

All three lines have gas coming out when I press in the rubber disconnect valve, but surely theres not a problem with all three posts

I have even tried attaching the gas disconnects to the liquid out posts and still no gas seems to be coming out of the dip tube. I have also pressed the valves in on the posts to make sure theyre not stuck or anything

Im assuming im attaching the disconnects to the posts correctly (lifting the base of the disconnects and just pushing them securely over the posts)

Are they supposed to clip or lock into place at all with the movable bases of the disconnects, or just kind of fit securely on there? I can take the disconnects off without lifting the base of them - like to attach them to the posts - but they seem fairly secure when theyre in place.

It just seems weird to have three different gas lines and disconnects, and three different kegs, and none of them being able to have gas come out at either post even though gas is coming out of the disconnect when i press the rubber stopper in.

I was hoping to have found the source of error by using the other kegs and hoping at least one of them would be able to have gas coming out of a post, but there just seems to be no way to get the gas going through either post on any keg

Sponge
thats probably your problem then. you need to push them down hard so they click on. you should be able to lift the keg up with them attached. Also don't put the gas disconnect on the liquid post. they are a different shape and will break the disconnect.

i know this sounds stupid but check the disconnects really are connected and check the beer line to the tap is not frozen
i find you have to sometimes have to lift the DC collar up and push them on nice and tight if they are new DC's

i am very nooob to kegging (only my 1st keg) but have already frozen the beer line as it was touching the cooling thing in the fridge and also had the disconnect only "half" on so no gas was getting in when i was wanting a bit of pressure.

1st day or so of kegging i was thinking i would go back to bottling as the keg was to much drama... but it's coming good :)

Its definitely not freezing the lines as the fridge tripped the breaker during the night and ive just left it off since then.

I have tried making sure the DCs are pressed down securely but yea, no gas seems to come out at all.

I'm sure theres something very small that im not quite doing right... Even if the fridge doesnt work or anything, i just wouldnt mind putting some CO2 into the keg with the beer so it doesnt spoil at all

.... i really shouldve just left the beer in the fermenter til i had this all sorted out...

rookie mistake.

Sponge

thats probably your problem then. you need to push them down hard so they click on. you should be able to lift the keg up with them attached. Also don't put the gas disconnect on the liquid post. they are a different shape and will break the disconnect.

So the DCs are supposed to clip on securely eyyy.... hmmmmmm

that may very well be the issue. I definitely wouldnt be able to pick up the keg with them attached as they dont seem to clip on, but maybe as you say, im just not pushing down on them hard enough.

Kindve worried theyd break if i pushed any harder but ill definitely give that a go and report back

God bless this forum.... :D

Sponge

Not something like the wrong fittings for the wrong kegs? You are using ball lock fittings on a ball lock keg and not trying to put them on a pin lock keg right?

If you lift the ring on the gas line disconnect and push it on the post it should hook up. It is not supper easy, however it is not supper hard either.

Are the beer out disconnects locking on or loose? It could be operator error.

Got a brew store close by? Take a keg and a disconnect and have them show you how to do it and make sure you have the correct combination.

Pictures would be grand if you have no other way.

Not something like the wrong fittings for the wrong kegs? You are using ball lock fittings on a ball lock keg and not trying to put them on a pin lock keg right?

If you lift the ring on the gas line disconnect and push it on the post it should hook up. It is not supper easy, however it is not supper hard either.

Are the beer out disconnects locking on or loose? It could be opperator error.
That has just dawned on me to. If you have no luck sponge take some photos of the posts and disconnects and someone will confirm that they are the right type.

Wow... dont i feel like a dick

I wasnt pressing down hard enough on the DCs and they werent actually attaching.

Felt like i was going to break them when I tried but yea.... wow

Ill definitely be hiding under a rock for the next little while for fear of shame

Thank you so much to everyone for helping out this kegging noob though. Now to just get this tripping fridge issue sorted and all shall be right in the world again

This forum really is the best thing since sliced bread

Sponge

... i really feel like such a dick ^_^

good you sorted it out :p never thought of that but I am heavy handed with everything :D as for the fridge, I would be looking what else is on that circuit. The fridge may be fine but if you got a heap of things that draw a heap of power on the same circuit then when it turns on it will trip it out. another option is put a RCD box on the fridge so if it is the fridge it should just trip the box and not the circuit this should tell you if its the fridge or circuit.

Maybe try another power point or if you got 2 circuits near by try the other circuit. If the fridge is faulty or the circuits faulty I would defiantly get a professional to look at it. Post on here some where looking for a sparky he may do it one arvo and it may cost you some beer. Or you can call some one up and get charged $150+ for the call out then another $100 a hour or what ever they cost lol

good you sorted it out :p never thought of that but I am heavy handed with everything :D as for the fridge, I would be looking what else is on that circuit. The fridge may be fine but if you got a heap of things that draw a heap of power on the same circuit then when it turns on it will trip it out. another option is put a RCD box on the fridge so if it is the fridge it should just trip the box and not the circuit this should tell you if its the fridge or circuit.

Maybe try another power point or if you got 2 circuits near by try the other circuit. If the fridge is faulty or the circuits faulty I would defiantly get a professional to look at it. Post on here some where looking for a sparky he may do it one arvo and it may cost you some beer. Or you can call some one up and get charged $150+ for the call out then another $100 a hour or what ever they cost lol

My girlfriends brother is actually an electrician by trade, and replaced all the fuses with breakers and added new powerpoints and whatnot into the kitchen when we were doing our renovations. Theres not a whole lot of devices on the circuit, but im getting him to come and have a look on monday to see if its just the CB sizing thats tripping, or if there just is too much power being drawn elsewhere from that circuit.

The fridge was running for a good couple of hours at least before it tripped sometime during the night. Its funny though as I have a fermenting fridge in the garage - which is on the same circuit - and each time i go to turn it on, after about 10-15seconds the circuit trips. Not too sure what the best way around this is as it would be a pretty big job having to put some of the power points on a different circuit. hopefully we may just be able to replace the cb with a slightly larger one, or if that doesnt work.... oh i dont know. thats what hes coming in for :super:

(typical engineer, having to get someone else to come in and check a circuit out...)

either way, ive got the keg gassing slowly at the moment, just so the beer doesnt spoil (since i tried doing the old force carb method last night, only to find yea, no gas) so i wouldve just been oxidising the beer by rocking the keg about with no co2 going in. either way, im just happy that everything is starting to come together once again

now to build up a collection of cubes of beer to fill up the empty kegs.

Cheers

Sponge

well thats good :p if the other fridge is tripping it then something is going on best to see what he thinks. you will never look back to bottles now lol

Off and running mate!

Now, GO AND DRINK BEER! :icon_cheers:

I remember having a little trouble with disconnects the first time.

"'just push them on' they said, they will... Not... Push... On..."

In the end, what 'They' should've said was "just lift the collars and push them on"

either way, ive got the keg gassing slowly at the moment, just so the beer doesnt spoil (since i tried doing the old force carb method last night, only to find yea, no gas) so i wouldve just been oxidising the beer by rocking the keg about with no co2 going in. either way, im just happy that everything is starting to come together once again

now to build up a collection of cubes of beer to fill up the empty kegs.

Cheers

Sponge
Best way to keep the beer from showing signs of oxidising is to drink it fast.

Good thing it is the weekend.

Back