Best Value Bittering Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pride of Ringwood + $43/kg = can't be bothered getting anything else haha :D

EDIT: 400th post, woohoo!

Indeed, indeed. Uni has sort of forced me to do that, I'm in my final year and live on campus. For some stupid reason they are against homebrewing, so I have to hide the fermenter...and the only place I can do that in my room is in my wardrobe haha.

Temp control is a bit of an issue, but maintaining good ale temps isn't too bad [16-18'C winter, 18-20'C summer]. It sure beats buying Tooheys or mixed spirits like most of the people around the place at any rate. Can't wait to get my own place and a decent setup next year!

Cheers - boingk

I'm generally a "bitter everything with Horizon" kinda guy, but I think Nelson Sauvin rates in terms of value in that it can be used for the whole spectrum of hopping needs. Glacier is one that I want to check out, 11-13% cohumulone sounds amazing, though the lowish AA (5-6%) is a bit of a deal breaker.

I'm surprised nobody has metioned Warrior, at 16.4% AA, it's got tobe good value for money for bittering. The description on Craftbrewer mentions it being a smooth bittering hop. I have always used Magnum for bittering, but with it unavailable and my stock just about run out, I just bought enough Warrior to ride out the shortage ;) Better try an APA with it next brew and see how it goes.

cheers

Browndog

please keep me posted BD, ive been looking at that fopr a while... and i couldnt find any reviews on AHB.

I'm still using up hops I bought around a year ago! Went through a bit of a buying frenzy, so hopefully that will allow me to ride out the hop shortage!
In the freezer I have POR, Target, Super Alpha, Warrior and Simcoe. All seem to be pretty good bittering hops. I also have others like Amarillo and Bramling that have fairly decent alphas and could be used for bittering.

Horizon are an excellent bittering hop which work really in pale ales but lately I been trying out NZ Southern Cross flowers in bot lagers and ales and enjoying the results but can't say if I'm getting great economic value or not.