Best Kit Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet

well, i just returned home from the brew shop, there's been a couple of minor changes, my wheat recipe is going to be:
Cascade spicy ghost draught (the name makes it sound good hehe)
3056 bavarian wheat yeast (didn't have 3068)
1kg wheat LME (should i be using 1.2 because it's liquid?)

sweet

well, i just returned home from the brew shop, there's been a couple of minor changes, my wheat recipe is going to be:
Cascade spicy ghost draught (the name makes it sound good hehe)
3056 bavarian wheat yeast (didn't have 3068)
1kg wheat LME (should i be using 1.2 because it's liquid?)

you'll be right with the 1kg.

looks like i'm taking over a fridge so secondary fermentation at 4 degrees should be possible!

looks like i'm taking over a fridge so secondary fermentation at 4 degrees should be possible!

guss - its to be brewed at ale temps (18-23) not lager temps:

3056 Bavarian Wheat Yeast. Blend of top-fermenting ale and wheat strains producing mildly estery and phenolic wheat beers. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (64-74 F, 18-23 C)

Cheers
Steve

steve - just going off lez's post from earlier in the thread. gonna ferment at ale temps but secondary around 4

I got 1.010 gravity after 6 (warm) days, but didn't rack. Warner, in his German Wheat Beer book, states that you will get better flavour if you rack into secondary at 4C for about a week, and that's what I have been doing since I read the book.

I just checked the reference (Warner), and the recommendation is to secondary ferment at 4-8 C for 3-5 weeks.

As has been mentioned before, you can bottle direct from primary, but bulk priming will stir up the yeast. However, for the quickest, most convenient result, you can rack the beer off the yeast cake (in primary) into a pre-bulk-primed bottling bucket and bottle immediately.

First time around, you might not notice the difference of the cold conditioning anyway. Just get the beer into your belly as soon as you can, and worry about the finesse for the later batches.
If you're happy to make beer that way, keep doing it. I was happy enough with the results for quite some time. It was only after I started to enter competitions that I decided that they didn't like too much yeast in the beer. I still don't mind a yeasty wheatie, but now I know that it tastes better if it looks more like a classic weizen.

For your first brews, I would not get caught caught up in any thing other than basic sanitation and ferment temp (and only then if using a liquid yeast). Walk, don't run, and be happy to improve along the way.

I started out with W3056 and it makes a nice weizen. I had heard that W3068 was a bugger to work with, so I waited until I had more brewing experience.

Remember, homebrewing should be fun! Testify! :beerbang:

Apologies if I've included too much detail for novice brewers. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Seth out :p

hehe trying to run instead of walk is the fun part though!

i reckon i might secondary it in 4-8 but probably just for a week

All,

Can I get some confirmation here please?

Should a wheat beer be brewed at Lager or Ale Temps?

If Ale temps, will Safale S-04 yeast be fine?

If Lager temps, will SafLager S-23 be fine?

Brownie.

European wheat beers are usually fermented with proper wheat yeasts that produce the right esters, however American wheats are brewed using a relatively clean ale yeast.

S-04 would be fine, as would US-05 (US-56) or Nottingham.

hi .... i tried this one a few weeks back ...supposibly a redback clone...drinking it now tastes bloody great i reackon ...esp since i was packing it from the hydrometre sample...but i'm no expert mind you it was my first brew...

maybe it'll help...

BREW No: 1

BEER TYPE: Redback clone Date/Time/Temperature: 24/12/06 4.30pm warm

METHOD: Kit and kilo

INGREDIENTS: Tin: Morgans golden sheaf wheat beer x 1 (1.7kg)

Sugars: 600g dextrose, 200g malt, 200g corn syrup

Hops: Morgans finishing hops (Hallertau)

Yeast: Morgans ale yeast 6g (30/c)

SECONARDY FERMENTAION: Bulk PRIMED @ 140 g white sugar (homebrand)

SPECIFIC GRAVITY: Start = 1.054 (24/12/06) Finish = 1.012 (29/12/06)

COMMENTS: total yield is just under 64 * 345 ml bottles (22 L)
Bottled on 29/12/06
May have added yeast at to high a temp.seemed to ferment ok though
Air lock grommet hard .no bubbling through airlock at allother
reasons perhapsreplace airlock grommet for next brew.

cheers simpletotoro

hey guys, starting my second brew this weekend... haven't had a chance to sample the first brew as it's doing its thang in the bottles.

but yeah i was looking to make a wheat beer this weekend and was thinking something like the beermakers bavarian wheat and was recommended to go with 3068 - weihenstephan weizen yeast and will use a liquid wheat malt extract. also have some crushed up caramunich from last time that i was maybe gonna put in (yes, i've been given a bunch of tips already hehe). but yeah was just curious on what others thought of that combo :D

How did you go with this?? looking at doing something similar.

After a Wheat beer with a banana flavour.

Yeh I've got a recipe here ready to go but I've since read that the yeast I've chosen (K-97) is nothing like a traditional wheat yeast even though it says so on the packet.
Feeling pretty ripped about that one!!!!!!
I'll still bang it together though with heaps of coriander and orange additions.
Probably put it together tomorrow.

hey all,ive just bottled my first wheat brew

Coopers wheat beer,
750g dried wheat malt extract,
500g light malt extract,
250g dried corn syrup,
W3068 yeast,
400g honey,
used 250g dried wheat malt extract with the yeast to make a starter 3 days before i made the wort, resulting in a total of 1kg dried malt extract. maybe too high but got a bit carried away. og was 1080 with all that sugar! made wort to 21L,no rack straight into bottles. let you know how it went :beerbang:

hey all,ive just bottled my first wheat brew
Coopers wheat beer,
750g dried wheat malt extract,
500g light malt extract,
250g dried corn syrup,
W3068 yeast,
400g honey,
used 250g dried wheat malt extract with the yeast to make a starter 3 days before i made the wort, resulting in a total of 1kg dried malt extract. maybe too high but got a bit carried away. og was 1080 with all that sugar! made wort to 21L,no rack straight into bottles. let you know how it went :beerbang:

Whoooa! Be interested in the FG of this thing. You might end up with a real ball tearer there!! :beerbang:

Whoooa! Be interested in the FG of this thing. You might end up with a real ball tearer there!! :beerbang:

just tried a bottle after only 5 days into secondary ferment and my god i think im in paradise :chug:

Slurpdog,the FG stayed constant for 2 days at 1016,so after some carbo drops the longnecks were filled.
by my rough calculations i should have around 9%ABV

i would recommend this recipe to anyone who likes to play around with wheat beer,it is already very smooth on the pallet with a touch of honey.

was expecting to taste more of the dried wheat malt extract but this is my first wheat beer so my tastebuds arent finely tuned enough

post back here in a week or so if there's any left :super:

Looking forward to it D'man.
Now all I've got to do is track down a shop that has this yeast in stock.

Looking forward to it D'man.
Now all I've got to do is track down a shop that has this yeast in stock.

You could also just ask your local Homebrew club members if they have a starter of it sitting in their fridge....

You could also just ask your local Homebrew club members if they have a starter of it sitting in their fridge....

PM sent Linz.
You meet the nicest people on this site!!!!

i made a culture of this yeast slurpdog if u want to drive to canberra

Thanks for the offer Dan but I'll only need to go as far as Glen Alpine near Campbelltown.

Latest posts

Back