Belgian Strong FAST FERMENT

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian Golden Strong Ale on Saturday. OG 1.070. Pitched a fresh smack pack of Wyeast 1388 that had been steeped up with a 2 litre starter. After a few hours had a massive rocky krausen. Pitched warm at 24 deg and held it there and come Monday morning it appears to be all done. I have not done a gravity check yet but was shocked to see it finish so quick. I step mashed very low, 55 deg C 60, 65, 71 and 76. I also used 1.2kg of sugar. Anyway has anyone else experienced such a fast ferment with this yeast?

STEVE

Just tested and she is stuck at 1.030. Might give it a stir.

That much sugar starts it pretty fast but then poops out. I've found (there's a thread I posted somewhere here "Belgian sugar orgy") that it will still finish, but a ramp in temperature and/or a stir and some patience is required.

Yeah, patience, ....I know... **** that I need my fermenter. I just pitched some active US-05 to finish it off.

I usually add the sugar in stages, as ferment slows. I also usually start cool, then allow to rise. Your mileage may vary of course but this plus heaps of active yeast and minimum 3 weeks cold conditioning have given me the best results with strong belgian styles. Starting that warm and with that much sugar at once may end up a bit hot and/or estery. If so, don't give up on 1388. Great yeast for strong, pale belgian styles.

manticle said:
I usually add the sugar in stages, as ferment slows. I also usually start cool, then allow to rise. Your mileage may vary of course but this plus heaps of active yeast and minimum 3 weeks cold conditioning have given me the best results with strong belgian styles. Starting that warm and with that much sugar at once may end up a bit hot and/or estery. If so, don't give up on 1388. Great yeast for strong, pale belgian styles.
Do you add the sugar dry or dissolved? Will it matter? I couldn't see anything in your recipes that indicated either.
Cheers
Gavin

I always boil it up in a small amount of water unless it is commercial candy sugar.

Latest posts

Back