Belgian Pale ale homework & an nice score

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwifirst

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1400921923.730896.jpg

Been thinking about making a Belgian Pale Ale and popped into my local bottle shop. Picked up a bottle of La Trappe Isid'or and the owner gave me a free glass to drink out if. He told me that this was the 'only' way to drink this beer.

Took it home and let it warm up a bit, about 10-12c and sipping it now. Have to say that I am impressed, but might have to make a small batch and bottle. I think 18l of this on tap would be some serious drinking.

I have a special place in my heart for sessionable belgian-y beers. Preferably hopped up a bit (doing one tomorrow in fact). Pick your favour base malt, good whack of toasted and munich malt and a smidge of crystal. Add a few reasonable additions (like 2 additions of 1g/L late on my system) to get it around 25-30 IBU. Pitch cool and ferment cool-ish with a belgian yeast. Drink. Enjoy.

I have just stocked up on a variety of I milled grain for the first time ever, to allow me to play around without having to order ahead at local store. Have all of that accept the toasted malt.

Looking at that list, I am guessing the abv% and the Belgian yeast are hugely important in making it taste different to a standard PA?

I don't think this falls under BPA, given the 7.5%. What's the difference between a Biere DevGarde and a Tripel?

Back