Belgian 2ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
so i just got some galaxy hops and looking at doing a very big beer just looking for some advice sofar its

15litre

3kgs DME
500grams home invert sugar
300g JW Medium CRystal
80grams of Galaxy @ 10 minutes

Around 10% alcohol and 60 IBU'[s

whats everyones thoughts is this simply just too mush hops for such a small batch

so i just got some galaxy hops and looking at doing a very big beer just looking for some advice sofar its

15litre

3kgs DME
500grams home invert sugar
300g JW Medium CRystal
80grams of Galaxy @ 10 minutes

Around 10% alcohol and 60 IBU'[s

whats everyones thoughts is this simply just too mush hops for such a small batch
No.. it looks excellent.
Maybe the hops should be added at 60 minutes, tho.. rather than ten.

Make sure you use a massive yeast starter, or kick start the yeast using a smaller beer first and use the slurry.
Add the sugar 2/3 way thru the ferment, or your FG will be way too high when the yeast gets "tired".
Get a really good yeast, as about 40% of your flavours and aromas will come from the yeast on this one
I recommend the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes or any other high gravity belgian liquid yeast.

No.. it looks excellent.
Maybe the hops should be added at 60 minutes, tho.. rather than ten.

Make sure you use a massive yeast starter, or kick start the yeast using a smaller beer first and use the slurry.
Add the sugar 2/3 way thru the ferment, or your FG will be way too high when the yeast gets "tired".
Get a really good yeast, as about 40% of your flavours and aromas will come from the yeast on this one
I recommend the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes or any other high gravity belgian liquid yeast.

yer iv got the 1388 or 1338?? duvel strain and got it fermenting a dubbel atm so should have a lot of slurring

yer im not sure when to add them beacause if i added them @60 it'd be soo bitter (this is the one part i'm not sure about is the hop additions (i have 160g galaxy, 80g styrian, 20g saaz, 80g cascade, but am really wanting to do a single hop beer to see how galaxy tastes etc

yer iv got the 1388 or 1338?? duvel strain and got it fermenting a dubbel atm so should have a lot of slurring

yer im not sure when to add them beacause if i added them @60 it'd be soo bitter (this is the one part i'm not sure about is the hop additions (i have 160g galaxy, 80g styrian, 20g saaz, 80g cascade, but am really wanting to do a single hop beer to see how galaxy tastes etc

How galaxy tastes huh, think passionfruit/pop! :huh:

I think a mix of styrian and galaxy sounds good.
maybe galaxy at 40 minutes then styrians at 10.

Galaxy is potent a little will go a long way

Q

hmmn i hope ist nice passionfruit, not passionpop had enough of that back in the day haha

It is a nice passionfruit - but some people find too much galaxy as a late hop pretty sickly.

Do you have a program like promash or beersmith? If you used maybe 10g at 60, 10g at 30 and 40g at 5 or 10 then it wouldn't be as full on and you'd probably have a similar bitterness and still get a fairly good aroma. Using less hops too.

But I've also dry hopped with 90 grams of Galaxy flowers and thought it's my best beer ever soooo...only one way to find out:)

hmmn so many options does anyone know what mikkellers single hop IPA additions are , not that i want to make a clone obviously but could give some more guidance

(i might even just randomly chuck them in at random times or maybe like 1 pellet a minute or something

If you want to find out what the hop tastes like, would you consider using a clean ale yeast like US05? Just a thought cos the Belgian yeast will throw a lot of flavours too.

I reckon use only a single hop, but I agree witht he other bloke, Belgian IPA is not the place to go for hop sniffers.
You have to decide how much bitterness you want.
Maybe... Go for about 50IBU with one hop. Get your calculator out and find out how you can add your galaxy at 60, 30, 10min and flameout to get 50 ibu.
Belgian IPAs are tops.
I want one now
:(

thanks for all the help guys

revised hop schedual (can be altered) been looking at some IPA recipes etc (dry-hopping seems to be a must)

All GAlaxy

10g @60
10g@30
10g@20
10g@10
20g dryhop

around 60 IBU's

PS: does dryhopping add flavour or only aroma as yer im not after a hop sniffer really more the flavour

Belgian ales are not traditionally overhopped. That said tradition is irrelevant if you like a certain thing. Dry hopping is just aroma as far as I know. It may influence flavour but the influence is negligible.

It looks like you're already going in this direction but if you're looking for bitterness (IBU) add the hops early on. Thus you could achieve the IBU levels without having to use 80g (hops are expensive).

60 IBU seems really high to me for anything Belgian. I'm neither a stickler for style nor MR Knowledge man so I could be wrong but that level of bitterness will shine through even in a big beer (particularly a pale one).

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can take over or offer an opposing viewpoint.

yer im not quite sure what im doing here haha

basically got some galaxy hops want to use them, love belgians and will have a healthy yeast trub, and wouldnt mind doing an ipa never brewed one before

that being said i wanted combine them together so high alcohol, mild phenelics and esters, high hop bitterness and hop flavour

but this is trickier than i first thought anyone actually brewed one before i'm going to go looking for the double hoblin..... la chouffe 2IPA

okay just looked up an article from byo about fusion beers (blending styles...)
and my idea will be to simply make a 2IPA with a Belgian yeast

Also saw that neonmate has made a belgian IPA so if you stumble across this feel free to give tips

Find a style guide or beer recipe generator (beerrecipator.org is one) and go through each style to find recommended malts, hops, colour and IBU. Take the bits you want from each and blend them.

I think IPAs tend to have a fair bit of dry hopping so making a strong pale ale with a belgian yeast and maybe some candi sugar should put you in the right direction I think.

Latest posts

Back