Beersmith Probs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Guys, I'm having a little trouble with my Beersmith program. I have fiddled around with a few of my recipies and saved them, then locked them and I come back a few days later to find it's back to the original version. It's happened about 4 times now :angry:
Also it seems to be giving me an incorrect measure of total grain, I add 3kg LLME, 300g of grain, 300g of another grain and it gives me a total grain of 4.54kg. Now this bit only worries me if it's gonna stuff other equations that Beersmith work out based on the 4.54kg, like potential alc and gravity.
Any ideas as to what is happening, I haven't changed any of the important settings

That is weird.

What happens if you lock and save, close beersmith, open beersmith .. is it wrong straight away?
I don't pay much attention to the total grain bizzo ... but Ijust checked now and my 3.8kg of grain adds upto 4.6kg in beersmith!
Ahhh + 600g sugar and 200g of extract = 4.6kg.

I'm pretty sure its got the pre boil gravity right but I don't have time to check right now.

Guys, I'm having a little trouble with my Beersmith program. I have fiddled around with a few of my recipies and saved them, then locked them and I come back a few days later to find it's back to the original version. It's happened about 4 times now :angry:
Also it seems to be giving me an incorrect measure of total grain, I add 3kg LLME, 300g of grain, 300g of another grain and it gives me a total grain of 4.54kg. Now this bit only worries me if it's gonna stuff other equations that Beersmith work out based on the 4.54kg, like potential alc and gravity.
Any ideas as to what is happening, I haven't changed any of the important settings

You might do better posting in the beersmith support forums here.

reVox

That is weird.

What happens if you lock and save, close beersmith, open beersmith .. is it wrong straight away?
I don't pay much attention to the total grain bizzo ... but Ijust checked now and my 3.8kg of grain adds upto 4.6kg in beersmith!
Ahhh + 600g sugar and 200g of extract = 4.6kg.

I'm pretty sure its got the pre boil gravity right but I don't have time to check right now.

The times I check it straight away it never changes but seems to be when I've left it for a few days. I do take into account all the brewing sugars when cheking total grain, It's got me stuffed. I will post on Beersmith, just wanted to see if anyone else was having similar probs, hoping it will be fixed easily.

Cheers Matt

It would be a good idea to do an export of all your current recipes, in beersmith format, to a location outside your current beersmith folder.
Aside from ensuring you have a copy if BRad from beersmith does contact you it potentially will be something he needs.

I had an issue when I upgraded to 1.4 and he fixed it up for me in no time :)

Rather than starting a new post I thought i'd just continue from this one. Firstly I am completely useless when it come to computers and all the technical stuff, so i'm hoping that someone here can hold my hand while I try and fix another prob i'm having. I haven't been able to open any recipes in Beersmith or perform any actions, Brad has given me a link to a patch that he thinks might fix it, I have downloaded the patch and all I need to do now is unzip it and put it in the directory. What the hell is unzip and where is this directory and how do I do it. I know Brad can answer this question but I figure i'd ask the question here so anyone that does a search on here can have the answer straight away, and i'm hoping to do a brew tonight and prolly wont get an answer till tomorrow from Brad.

HELP

Rather than starting a new post I thought i'd just continue from this one. Firstly I am completely useless when it come to computers and all the technical stuff, so i'm hoping that someone here can hold my hand while I try and fix another prob i'm having. I haven't been able to open any recipes in Beersmith or perform any actions, Brad has given me a link to a patch that he thinks might fix it, I have downloaded the patch and all I need to do now is unzip it and put it in the directory. What the hell is unzip and where is this directory and how do I do it. I know Brad can answer this question but I figure i'd ask the question here so anyone that does a search on here can have the answer straight away, and i'm hoping to do a brew tonight and prolly wont get an answer till tomorrow from Brad.

HELP

You need something to unzip files. Windows has its own unzipper. When you downloaded the file does the icon look like folder with a zip on it? Right click that and choose extract all and a wizard will start up and lead you through the steps.

Now where this directory is, depends on where you installed beersmith.
Looked under c:\program files and see if there's a beersmith directory. That's the best bet.
It might be under c:\beersmith too.

To find your c drive just double click the "my computer" icon on your desktop and c: should be the drive at the top of the list.

Thanks braufrau, I'll see how I go, bound to have another question later tonight though :unsure:

To find your c drive just double click the "my computer" icon on your desktop and c: should be the drive at the top of the list.

:lol: This bit made me laugh, allthough I know I shouldnt cos im just as bad with stupid computers :rolleyes:

You're not running Vista, are you? If you are, then the recipes won't be where you expect them to be.

Back