Beersmith Priming Sugar Estimates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve78

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have never bulk primed before, but know ppl who have with varying degrees of gas. Beersmith has the sugar estimation at the bottom of the recipe designer, and I was just wondering if anyone has had a over/under carbonated beer by using the Beersmith priming rate?

Also, I want to do this with two lagers I have lagering at the moment. I fermented them both out at 10C, and the diacetyl rest went up to 14C for a few days. Do I use the 14C as the beer temperature for determining the sugar priming rate, or keep it at 10C?

And, whats the best method of bulk priming, is it just dissolve the sugar and dump it in? I assume the 'corn sugar' in Beersmith is the same as white sugar?

Thanks in advance :)

Steve

Try this calculator http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/AlcoholCh...Calculator.html

Dextrose (corn sugar) requires a little bit more than sucrose because it's a monohydrate. You'll see in the priming calc on bs2 that it reads corn sugar as 100%, and table sugar as 109% as compared to corn sugar.

I boil my priming sugar in the microwave for a few minutes, then pour it into my priming vessel and immediately rack the beer (usually chilled) ontop of it. This should help with mixing it in properly and there isn't really any need to chill it down beforehand.

Thanks Felten,

And bulk priming has always been pretty much spot on? No major over/under carbed? Do you just put the sugar in a small amount of hot water to dissolve it?

Also, just quickly, do I use 10C ferment temp or 14C for diacetyl rest for the beer temp in calculating the sugar level required?

Thanks again,
Steve

Check out http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=79 for the detailed answer on temps.
tl;dr use the highest temperature the beer has reached since fermentation stopped.

If you're accurate with the volume and weights, and the priming solution is adequately mixed, it should be spot on. I usually use 1.5:1 weight of water to sugar, that seems to be a decent amount to get everything to dissolve.

Thanks mate, appreciate your help.

All the best,
Steve

NP, hope it turn out alright. :icon_cheers:

Back