Beer Level In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have any tricks how to check the beer level in a keg, other than lifting and guessing??

Cheers

Pull it out, let it warm for a few minutes is the 'ghetto' method. Condensation will be more apparent as the thermal inertia of the beer shows the beer stays cooler than the empty section of the vessel.

Best practice would be to weigh it Tonyt...or brew more so you got spares :icon_cheers:

Cheers,

InCider.

You could run a tab next to the fridge i.e 1 pint 2 pints 3 pints :lol:

I had to tell my 17 year old that my kegerator has a special flow meter thus giving me the exact amount that is tapped ........ I has worked so far - I think! :blink:
cheers
BBB

I find it best not to know when I kegged it and when it emptied :)

Put it on a set of bathroom scales ... but do you really want to know how quickly said beer has disapeered?

I open the fridge and wipe the side of the keg with a cloth that has soaked in boiling water (yeah, wear gloves), it's like the ghetto mentioned above but you don't have to move the keg...

I had to tell my 17 year old that my kegerator has a special flow meter thus giving me the exact amount that is tapped ........ I has worked so far - I think! :blink:
cheers
BBB

Haha!!

Seriously though, I wonder about this though... My kids are only 4 and 2 and I'm not even kegging yet but I wonder if you might need a lock system to prevent young hands from getting "curious"?

I have a 4yo who was 2 when I got kegs. I have never had an issue from curious hands. But my daughter can pour a perfect pint for daddy if I ask her to.

I have a 4yo who was 2 when I got kegs. I have never had an issue from curious hands. But my daughter can pour a perfect pint for daddy if I ask her to.
That almost sounds like prospects to being a barmaid. :p

There is a photo at my mothers of me at age 3 sitting on a bar pouring my father a G+T.........I grew up in restaurants (my parents were both industry), I knew what the letters on a postmix gun meant before I knew the days of the week.......

Haha!!

Seriously though, I wonder about this though... My kids are only 4 and 2 and I'm not even kegging yet but I wonder if you might need a lock system to prevent young hands from getting "curious"?

Guysmiley
Son (and his ugly mates) are a bit hesitant as I have gone with the nuclear meltdown theory if the wrong quickconnect goes on the wrong corny post as well as the flow meter. I am also trying to make the kegerator even more complex by using a gas manifold and extra lines. Kid is smart though (apple doesnt fall etc etc )....
Seriously, I did look into flow meters (ala flowscan - diesel boat nuts will know). There are some out there but the cost is prohibitive ......
4 + 2 yrs old ..... mate that makes me want to drink just thinking about it ....... more power to you brother
Cheers
BBB

edit - it is also wasted on the young as they only drink to get full - I drink to get .... well...... full ...... but it is very different ......

Every time I used to tap a new keg I set up a jar with 40 old crown seals in it. Out comes a schooner, out comes a cap. When the jar's empty, the keg's not far behind. Now I don't bother and just shed a tear when the glass fills with foam... and move on the the next keg!

BBB, Now you know why I drink ;)

I remember being a teenage grommit and taking a small amount out of each one of my parents liquor bottles to get enough booze to make me dizzy! I also remember one day as I went to pour seeing a thick texta line on the side of the bottle marking the level of the contents... DOH!!

I guess I have a long time ahead of me before it becomes an issue. Ultimately I guess the other factor is that kids can get access to drink if they really want it, if the parents are so badly distracted or disinterested that they fail to notice their underage kids drinking there is a bigger problem to deal with.

BBB: So it gets easier as they get older?

Guysmiley
Son (and his ugly mates) are a bit hesitant as I have gone with the nuclear meltdown theory if the wrong quickconnect goes on the wrong corny post as well as the flow meter. I am also trying to make the kegerator even more complex by using a gas manifold and extra lines. Kid is smart though (apple doesnt fall etc etc )....
Seriously, I did look into flow meters (ala flowscan - diesel boat nuts will know). There are some out there but the cost is prohibitive ......
4 + 2 yrs old ..... mate that makes me want to drink just thinking about it ....... more power to you brother
Cheers
BBB

edit - it is also wasted on the young as they only drink to get full - I drink to get .... well...... full ...... but it is very different ......

BBB, Now you know why I drink ;)

I remember being a teenage grommit and taking a small amount out of each one of my parents liquor bottles to get enough booze to make me dizzy! I also remember one day as I went to pour seeing a thick texta line on the side of the bottle marking the level of the contents... DOH!!

I guess I have a long time ahead of me before it becomes an issue. Ultimately I guess the other factor is that kids can get access to drink if they really want it, if the parents are so badly distracted or disinterested that they fail to notice their underage kids drinking there is a bigger problem to deal with.

BBB: So it gets easier as they get older?

:icon_offtopic: Oh yes it is all downhill from here Guysmiley :icon_drunk: .... When they hit 14 send them away (anywhere!) for the year. 15 yrs and onwards are OK ...
beware the 14 y/o adolescent - if you see one run .....
cheers
BBB

:icon_offtopic: Oh yes it is all downhill from here Guysmiley :icon_drunk: .... When they hit 14 send them away (anywhere!) for the year. 15 yrs and onwards are OK ...
beware the 14 y/o adolescent - if you see one run .....
cheers
BBB

That sounds horrible :ph34r:

Maybe 4 and 2 is quite sweet after all :)

I hate when you hear the splutter of foam lol damn blown kegs suck.

haha yeah I used to take to my mums rum bottle but she didnt mind to much if i was supervised and gave some money for replacement.

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tricks how to check the beer level in a keg, other than lifting and guessing??

Cheers
I use a digital fishing scale I got on ebay for about $8 including postage..

I like the hot water rag.. I'm gunna try that.
I open the fridge and wipe the side of the keg with a cloth that has soaked in boiling water (yeah, wear gloves), it's like the ghetto mentioned above but you don't have to move the keg...

Hanging digital scales from Ebay, just over 5 bucks delivered. Great for chest freezer conversions.

Back