Beer In China

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you now, you will eat some of the most amazing food you will ever eat. ........
as long as you are adventurous.. and don't just go to "western" restaurants... you will see and eat things that will blow your mind

soak up the culture.. and dont waste too much time looking for amazing beers youll waste time you should be using to experience an alternative universe.

Slightly off topic,
But you must have a chinese massage, nothing like here, so keep your my minds above your navel. 2.5 hour massage for $13.00, and walk out feeling 20 years younger.Ask your local companions, as you can end up in the wrong one. If in Shanghai, the bund area can be entertaining, although crap beer.

Have fun.
Regards Tony

Okay, I'm back... actually, I returned a week ago, but had so much work to do that I've only logged in now and found 19 pages of unread threads.

China was very interesting. Thank you to all of you (including the person I went with) who managed to keep the fact that western-style toilets are a rarity a secret. :ph34r:

Seems the main beer on hand was Snow, and although I counted 7 differently coloured labels, not a single person could tell me the difference between any of them. Tsingtao tasted much nicer fresh, but I only encountered it once. $1 for a 500ml beer seems okay, unless you get it served warm, or you realise it's 2.5% abv. Surprisingly okay body/malt/flavour mind you - I'll have to see if I can make something similar.

I got to try a heap of huajiao - sichuan pepper... freakin amazing stuff! Gotta track some of that down here.

It seems that Mianyang isn't very tourist-friendly/interesting, so there was a good chance that we were the only westerners for several kilometers in any direction. We walked through the city square after dinner and were surrounded by 30 or so people curious to see the strange folk in their city. This only served to draw a bigger crowd. Very odd experience that one.

Overall well worth the trip, but I don't think one could pay me enough to live there. I'm still coughing from the smog. $14 for a hot-pot dinner with drinks for two can't be beat, and I'll be on the lookout for somewhere that does it here.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back