Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mredgy

Reaction score
I just recently received a beer filter from Craftbrewer. This one to be precise http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=720

I tried to do gravity filter, but got no-where. grabbed an empty keg, decanted into that and started under very low pressure ~10kpa to push hte beer through.

2 problems:

1) I have the filter like this http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/userfiles/im...it-complete.JPG and have about 1 inch of air/co2 in the top. I turned it over, and purged until liquid came out, flipped it back, and same problem. Don't know if this is normal or not.

2) there is about 6 inches of head in the receiving keg. Currently sealed both kegs and turned off the gas to let it settle so I can transfer the rest.

some possibly important info.

It is lager that was brewed at 10c and then cold conditioned at 4c for 2 weeks, thus there is a decent amount of carbonation in the beer.

Whilst I am transferring, the second keg is open to the air, figuring having it sealed would not alolow a lower pressure, and thus no transfer.

Any ideas? Is this normal, is there a solution ?

thanks,

Mredgy

I had a keg that appeared to be blocked once. I had used issinglass in the brew and after cold conditioning for about 4 weeks there was a fair amount of trub settled in the bottom of the keg. I attached the co2 line to the out port and purged the spear. it cleared the blockage ok.

Roscoe

Did you release the valve on the top of the keg

Pumpy

Did you bleed the air from the filter ?

Had you got the Oring in the filter ?

Was there air getting in somewhere?

Did you dump the yeasty bit that gets stuck in the tap before filtering ?

pumpy

Ther is a bit of a knack with things new and there should be no reason why it does not work

Did you practice with water first ?

It took me a few goes to really make it simple

Pumpy :)

Air doesn't seem to be getting in, except for the CO2 i'm using to push it. Did also dump the first schooner or so from the tap to stop mega yeast flowing in.

I've put both kegs into the fridge now, will let them settle for w hile and try the rest.

I also notice you are only putting 10kpa (1.5 psi) of pressure on the keg, I would try lifting this to 70kpa (10 psi).
Roscoe

If you use gas make sure you dont rupture its membrane ,

there should be no reason you cant filter the beer with Gravity on a pale beer like that

Pumpy

Mredgy,

Give us a call in the shop on 07 38412600 & I'm sure we can work out what's going wrong.

cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

It all transferred overnight whilst in the fridge, all good. I'll keep practising and see if I can't get this worked out.

Latest posts

Back