Beer Designer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Evenin all, Pleased to report I was able to bottle my 4 brew Last night and at this very moment Ive got one down at 22-23'c. (fifth brew) Was pleased with my procedure and everything went smooth. It was a CPA CAN + 1kg BE2 + 250g LDME to 25 Liters, rehydrated US-05 pitched at 23'c... plan to dry hop some Chinook about thursday if fermentation kicks off ok (touch wood). Does Cascade Dry hop OK? Im goin gto have 15g spare so I could add to the Chinook..??? <_<

Sooo.. Next one me thinks to meself... I'd like to kick it up a little for the next one and this is what Ive come up with on that calculator thingy.. not sure im doing it right but anyway this is what I've got, if someone who knows this thing better could have a butchers Id be ever so greatful... ;) Based on an American Pale Ale Blank.. I think..

CPA CAN
1Kg BE2
1Kg LME
15g Perle @ 30min
10g Cascade @ 10 min
Nottingham Yeast
23 lt
Blow off tube possibly with all that in there...

Questions are.. what would this come out like? How can I raise the EBC which comes out low..
Would a 3 lt boil be unough for the hops?

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

First off, this already would be a great beer, Perle and Cascade make for a good american pale ale!
to answer your other two questions...

- to change the EBC add a small amount of crystal grain, 50g for roasted or 100g for dark crystal or 250g for lighter crystal roughly
- I'd personally up the hops a bit to 20g Perle @ 30 min and 20g Cascade @ 10 min, up the boil to atleast 5L, 10L is best though imo

Also i'd make these changes in future or if you havent bought ingredients yet

- in place of LME and BE2 just use... 1.5kg Coopers liquid Malt extract and 300g Dextrose
- use US-05 yeast for American style ales, Nottingham is more for Brit beers i'd say but will still do the job

you could go straight into extract that way you controll the hops and flavours not work around a kit that already has some. Neills centenarllio is a good one. you are already doing a boil and making the boil to 1.040 (i assume) the only difference is your replacing the hopped can with unhopped can (or dry malt extract) and adding more hops thats about it.

You have been busy improving the beer designer tool. Congrats on your new version. It's becoming the must have tool or the hobby.
:beer:

Edit: I assume you and ianh are the same. am I right?

The cascade will go fine dry hopped. Which Richmond are you from? There's 1 in every capital city in the country. If yr in Adelaide then I'm accross the road. I've got some bottles left of a beer I dry hopped with cascade. I'm happy to chill a bottle if yr keen to try it. Looking forward to having a look at the spreadsheet. Stupid iphone won't open it.

Yeah I get a similar issue when opening on my mac ? Mac Excel doesn't like macros ?

<_<

Evenin all, Pleased to report I was able to bottle my 4 brew Last night and at this very moment Ive got one down at 22-23'c. (fifth brew) Was pleased with my procedure and everything went smooth. It was a CPA CAN + 1kg BE2 + 250g LDME to 25 Liters, rehydrated US-05 pitched at 23'c... plan to dry hop some Chinook about thursday if fermentation kicks off ok (touch wood). Does Cascade Dry hop OK? Im goin gto have 15g spare so I could add to the Chinook..??? <_<

Sooo.. Next one me thinks to meself... I'd like to kick it up a little for the next one and this is what Ive come up with on that calculator thingy.. not sure im doing it right but anyway this is what I've got, if someone who knows this thing better could have a butchers Id be ever so greatful... ;) Based on an American Pale Ale Blank.. I think..

CPA CAN
1Kg BE2
1Kg LME
15g Perle @ 30min
10g Cascade @ 10 min
Nottingham Yeast
23 lt
Blow off tube possibly with all that in there...

Questions are.. what would this come out like? How can I raise the EBC which comes out low..
Would a 3 lt boil be unough for the hops?

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to prepare the spread sheet but it doesn't work in a mac. It crashes my Excel when I try to open it.

I cant take the credit for the Spreadsheet, it's from this site but not mine, thanks guys I reckon I got my recipe for this one down now, a little bit refined from what I had but still in the ballpark. I hope you can get the spreadsheet going as it's a corker!!

I would personally go to Big W and get a 11.5 litre pot for $15.
I started off with 4l boils but if you want bitterness you need a bigger boil that 3l to get better utilization out of your hops.
+1 Drewcifer. I would also go and grab a 1.5kg tin of Pale LME and use some of the grains he has suggested.
I did a 4l boil with some Pale LME (what ever the spread sheets sayz) and 20g of Cascade. Also use the CPA tin. Was a great brew.

@ admin: Can we possibly move this thread into the Kits and Extract spreadsheet topic? Seems like a better place for it.

Cheers

To answer your dry-hop question, Cascade is a great choice for that. Personally I would dry hop that first batch you have fermenting now with 15g of the Cascade and 5g or 10g of Chinook.

Latest posts

Back