Beer and Wine label printing recommendations please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy_sa

Reaction score
Hi guys
I need about 160 beer labels and perhaps 24 wine labels of my own design printed for an engagement party. The beers will be on ice so ideally a label that doesn't fall straight off in water and as CHEAP as possible. Any ideas?

cheers
Jonesy

G'day Jonesy

It depends mainly on how sophisticated you want them. I've done a lot of labels for myself using something like Pagemaker (my favourite) and other software programs as well. It's much much cheaper, and gives you full control over design. With colour laser printers costing so little these days (often less than $200) and being able to do 12 labels per A4 size page, it's pretty much a slam dunk, and you end up with a really nice printer at the end of it.

If you wanted, you could use Avery labels or similar that would stay attached pretty well and they come in all sorts of sizes. Admittedly, I like to use A4 photocopy paper with the blue bostick glue stick, but that dissolves in water and the label will probably only last about a minute in water/ice.

There's likely to be someone in the family or a friend with a graphic mind to make the design if you feel uncomfortable about it. I suspect it will cost a lot less that way than if you use someone like Kwik Kopy etc. Or you could ask your local art/craft store to recommend a glue that may be more permanent, of course. Truth be known, they'll probably know a poor starving uni student with talent that would be more than happy designing and printing the labels for $50 or a touch more.

Cheers mate

For our olive oil bottles and tins, we use a vinyl label stock called 'Datapol' with amazing adhesion to glass ('sticks like shit to a blanket' springs to mind :p ), is oil-proof (MOST important in our business), and results in a gloss finish. It helps that we're using a Konica-Minolta colour laser printer which uses a polymer toner which is a glossy finish anyway (even on plain stock-standard copy paper).

If you have access to a colour laser, and software to design your own, the supplier we use for our label stock is http://www.labelproductions.com.au Very helpful folk, with a huge range of shapes and sizes available.

(PS - Their website is in urgent need of a makeover. It's a little hard to find your way around it, but an email should get you everything you need to know. And I believe they can organise small print runs too)

Black Devil Dog said:
It seems as though they just sell stickers.
Just call the sticker a label....done.

And yes email them.

Black Devil Dog said:
I can't see anywhere on the warby site where they print custom beer labels. It seems as though they just sell stickers. Do you have to send them an email or something?

The esigns site appears to be under renovation.
both sites are the same person. just email him and tell him barls sent you.

Has anyone used Avery type stickers and tested within water/ice for colour run and adhesion?
PS - I have enquired with the above aswell

I design my own using a free ware product called GIMP. (https://www.gimp.org/ )

It has about the same functionality as Photoshop (full version), easy to use and doesn't cost anything to down load and use. It comes with a well documented manual (separate down load)

If you you use/have a laser printer the colors don't run and if you use an inkjet printer you can spray the finished product with hair spray to stop color run if/when it gets wet.

Any number of options to attach. If only for single use you can't go past milk for a cheap and effective solution label sticks well and generally will survive getting "damp" and is easy to remove by a short soak in washing up water

Wobbly

Try www.beerlabelizer.com it's a pretty good label maker. Just cut them out and stick them on with milk, works well and are easy to soak off when you want to reuse the bottles.

Latest posts

Back