Becks Style Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
Want to do a "becks" style beer.
This is what I was thinking.

* Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsener 1.7kg
* 750g DME
* 250g Dextrose
* 15g of Saaz Finishing Hops (Standard Method)
* 15g of Saaz Finishing Hops (Dry Method)
* Yeast - well this is where im stuck

I've got US-05 or S-04 or the kit came with a Morgans larger yeast???

Any suggestions would be great

I don't think Becks has any real yeast character, does it ?

If that's the case, S-05 or your kit yeast will be as good as any. Unless you want to lager..... which I think the original is.

Yeah, becks is a lager. I have no idea if the kit y east will be a true lager yeast or not...but many kits, even ones called lager or pilsner, actually contain ale yeast....

So unless you can confirm that the kit yeast is a true lager yeast, either get some lager yeast at the lhbs, or go with the us05, making sure that you keep the ferment nice and cool, probably 17C (ish) (edit - just checked the specs, and safale state that us05 can go down to 15C). S04 would just be wrong in so many ways.

Ive done a kit that at least reminds me of Becks before:

Coopers Euro Lager
500g LDME
250g dex
300g carahell (I used 500g, but that was probably too much)
10g saaz at 5 mins
S189 yeast (great dried yeast IMO)

If you dont want to use real lager yeast, go for the US05.

IMHO use the kit yeast. I've been experimenting with Mauribrew yeasts in my Aussie style ales and lagers - made in Australia you'd think they would be up to the job. In fact I am entering an Australian Lager in the Brisbane big annual comp this week and it's done on Mauribrew Lager 497 ( purchased as Morgans Lager yeast) and I prefer it to the identical version I made on W - 34/70.

It's a true lager yeast and even pumps out a bit of sulphur (as do Euro Lager yeasts) so should crank out a Euro lager no problems, and can be fermented nicely at 16 or 17 degrees. I've also used US-05 in pseudo lagers and it even does a nice Cerveza as well but as Butters suggests, ferment it cool to avoid aley esters. And definitely not S-04. :icon_cheers:

Thank aLL for the replies.

I'm leaning towards the kit morgans larger yeast atm

:icon_cheers:

IMHO use the kit yeast. I've been experimenting with Mauribrew yeasts in my Aussie style ales and lagers - made in Australia you'd think they would be up to the job. In fact I am entering an Australian Lager in the Brisbane big annual comp this week and it's done on Mauribrew Lager 497 ( purchased as Morgans Lager yeast) and I prefer it to the identical version I made on W - 34/70.

It's a true lager yeast and even pumps out a bit of sulphur (as do Euro Lager yeasts) so should crank out a Euro lager no problems, and can be fermented nicely at 16 or 17 degrees. I've also used US-05 in pseudo lagers and it even does a nice Cerveza as well but as Butters suggests, ferment it cool to avoid aley esters. And definitely not S-04. :icon_cheers:

Is that the yeast you sent me Micheal your refering to?

Mine has a nice big yeast cake at the moment and is tasting great

Is that the yeast you sent me Micheal your refering to?

Mine has a nice big yeast cake at the moment and is tasting great

That's the one, glad it's doing well - and no I'm not getting a secret commission from Morgans :p

I've just put this down with the kit yeast and I'll let you all know how it goes.
And I'll keep her at around 16-17 degrees.

Thx for all the advise

Ive done a kit that at least reminds me of Becks before:

Coopers Euro Lager
500g LDME
250g dex
300g carahell (I used 500g, but that was probably too much)
10g saaz at 5 mins
S189 yeast (great dried yeast IMO)

If you dont want to use real lager yeast, go for the US05.

Thats sounds like a good recipe, but unless you state how much water was added to the final mix then it is useless information. Please don't assume that everyone brews at 23 litres.

Slight thread hijack - for those using the Morgans kit yeast successfully, how many packs do you pitch per batch? 4?

Latest posts

Back