Batch Sizes For Keggers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Howdy All

For those of You who keg what size batches do you do for a single keg , given that you lose some from racking ,do you make 21-22 liter batches or still round the 23 liter mark and chuck whatever is left into bottles for old time sake and swaps and so on

Cheers

AW :D

I make a batch of about 20 litres. Find with racking, settling... It will come out to about 18 litres.

Some people do a mongrel keg. I've taken to doing 25L batches (haven't finished any yet :)) but the plan is to fill a pure keg and throw the dregs into the mongrel keg. Soon enough its full of bits and pieces of lots of brews and can end up tasting quite interesting (apparently - again, I havent tried it :))

I do the same thing as the OP, make up a batch of 23L, keg 9, bottle the rest. The bottled beer is labeled and then goes into the 'emergency' bin, for when I run out of draught beer. This is a good system for me, and, when I gather the equipment for all grain brewing, I will be continuing this practice.

I just did 2 x 22L batches

I figure I'll bottle the excess - in case of emergencies as noted above

Or as take aways

I have made 2 x 27 batches and filled 3 kegs ie 1 mixed keg

It came out quite nice

Cheers

Hey Wenger, I do batches of all sizes (between 15 and 35L) and keg what I need, then bottle the rest. With some of my bigger beers, I'll keg much less and bottle more, to save on fridge space.

Some of my lawnmower/summer ales don't get bottled at all and the batch size matches out to a keg...

TK
I still do 23 litre batches and the left overs go in my mongrel keg. Search for "mongrel" or "keg fill left overs". Before this idea I used to waste 2 or 3 litres per batch because I couldnt be stuffed bottling.
Cheers
Steve

Back