Batch Size Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually start with a 20L batch on thursday night & add yeast starter, then do 4x20L batches of the same over the weekend. Add 5L to each from the thursday starter to end up with 4x25L batches.

SJW Wrote:
I boil about 35 or 36 litres for a final volume in the fermenter of 25 litres. I am a bit surprised to see so many people doing 23 litres. Why? I know the kits say 23 litres but even when I did K & K's I never made em up to 23 litres.

Hi SJW,
23 litres because that is what will comfortably fit in my pails.

Weizguy wrote:
Has anyone made 10-12 litre experimental batches?

Weizguy,
Unless this was going to be half of a split batch then I generally draw the line at 15 litres. While the smaller batch might be a bit quicker to come to the boil etc, it pretty much takes me the same amount of time to brew. So if I'm going to put that much effort in, I may as well get something for it.

I'll brew 15 litres if I'm not too sure how it's going to turn out.
eg like a grist comprising 85% ale malt & 15% fawcett's chocolate

I don't brew Lambics. blah!!!!!!!

Rgds,
Peter

Usually 45 litres into the fermenter.

Can then keg into 45 litre dispensing keg, or two 19's and bottles, or one 19 and bottles. Now have a couple of tne 3 gallon kegs so they will get fillled too.

Also plan to split batch, so I can experiment with different yeasts.

usually around 23L give or take a couple.
I usually dont really care to much for measurements, i just relax and take it easy and it always turns out ok.

90% of the time its 20 litres into the fermenter, just enough to fill a corny after loses to racking.

Other 10% of the time it's 26 litres into 2 x 15ltr fermenters, pitch 2 different yeast and keg in 3 gallon kegs.

Cheers
MAH

20-25l. plenty for me.
joe

Weizguy said:
Has anyone made 10-12 litre experimental batches? Sorry, I'll start a new thread later.

Seth out :p
[post="75989"][/post]​

I have a small fermenter that handles around 12l and a couple of 11l carboys for conditioning which just happens to be my All Grain maximum batch size... for now.
There's another baby fermenter on the way soon so I can split normal size batches and brew side by side with different yeasts.
The potentially undrinkable experiments are done in 2l plastic.

Latest posts

Back