Banana Beer... Any Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for what my opinion is worth (probably nothing), I did an extract of a banana/vanilla stout back in January 2011. All I did was dice, blend and boil my bananas (whatever your amount of bananas is) in about 2L of water for about 10 mins. I then did my normal extract brewing as normal. It turned out to be a great beer for an extract, with a hint of vanilla. It was simply really good.

for what my opinion is worth (probably nothing), I did an extract of a banana/vanilla stout back in January 2011. All I did was dice, blend and boil my bananas (whatever your amount of bananas is) in about 2L of water for about 10 mins. I then did my normal extract brewing as normal. It turned out to be a great beer for an extract, with a hint of vanilla. It was simply really good.

So you used the water from the bananas to do your boil, is that right? I know it probably wouldn't effect a stout but did you notice any pectin haze from the bananas...

Too late I just put it on the stove with 8L waters...... :unsure: have I just wasted it or
would my original idea work?
Somewhere in Africa, a devastated troupe of monkeys are weeping uncontrollably.

So you used the water from the bananas to do your boil, is that right? I know it probably wouldn't effect a stout but did you notice any pectin haze from the bananas...

Almost, Paulielow. In a separate pot I just boiled the B's for 10 mins, and then just dumped the whole lot in another pot that had the malt extract (and whatever else) in it - then in the fermenter it went to, well, ferment.

As for the haze, I sure did see that. My personal preference was that I didn't care too much about the haze. I had suspected it would do it but didn't know to what extent. I just let it be. What I "may" do differently in the future is once fermented, I'd rack it into secondary for 3-4 days so it can settle to the bottom of the fermenter - then bottle. Not sure if that'd help the haze but it wouldn't hurt, I suppose.

As a side note, I've done a lot of extract brews with fruit (pears, peaches, watermelon, mango) and that pretty much has that same haze you mentioned. Maybe there are other brewers out there more knowledgeable than I that can shed some lessons on how to get lessen the impact of that haze has from additions like banana. Hope that helps?

Ok as it turns out if you boil bananas then refridgerate them the pectin coagulates and forms clumps... I suppose its better to happen now than when I put it in beer. I got 10L of liquid from this with an SG of 1.060 so if I add another 10L water I should get an SG of 1.030, is this how it works.... Then I should be able to strain of the pectin clumps and hopefully avoid the pectin haze....

Somewhere in Africa, a devastated troupe of monkeys are weeping uncontrollably.

They go ape for the banana beer at the zoo's commissary. They say it's flavor has a wide a-peel

Hey you asked "any thoughts?" I couldn't hold it any longer

Back