Banana Beer... Any Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I've got thirteen kilos of bananas in the freezer that's starting to bug me, so does anyone have a banana beer recipe? If your near me I'm happy to share both the workload and the beer on this one...

Cheers that was my next stop... :D

Edit: no actual bananas in that one though

It's an eleven page thread - the last page suggests some brews discussed
did use bananas.

Ross has brewed this a few times, linky which is pretty damm tasty - I'll have to brew a batch once all the bunches around the house start ripening (bastards do it all the same time). Wife has instructed me to brew it for her, which is something that doesn't happen every day :eek: .

Edit: porkspin free ;) - beat you Ross :p

This one took out champion fruit beer & 2nd Best of Show in the Qld State Championships

Banana Amber

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross but that's way to advanced for me I'm still an extract noob at the moment...
You could make a go of that beer with extract, as long as you were comfortable steeping grains. Just replace the ale malt and munich with extract (there's info around the place on how to calculate how much) and steep the rest.

I haven't tried steeping grains yet as I don't have a thermometer atm, but I've got a tin of roasted dark malt, a tin of caramalt, 500g of LDME, some dextrose and about 50g fuggles pellets. So depending on the srm added by the bananas I might try a Belgian strong ale using some t-58 I've got in the fridge.....

This one took out champion fruit beer & 2nd Best of Show in the Qld State Championships

Banana Amber

Cheers Ross

:icon_offtopic: Ross, what is this Aroma - hop steep that you talk of? Is this just a tea pot with hops that eats drained into the fermenter?

hops added after flame out & steeped for 20 mins.

cheers Ross

Ok so I think I've got a handle on this I'm gonna put 8kg in my brew pot and mash them then add enough water to cover bring to the boil then cover and leave to sit for an hour to extract the sugars, if I'm doing a 20L batch this should give me a SG OF 1.022 then since I don't have a free space to put it yet I'll add some gelatine and stick it in the fridge until next week to drop all the sediment and shite out of it then strain it off as gently as I can and use this with my tin of dark roasted malt for a boil using 10g each of hallertau and saaz at 60min and 10g of hallertau at 30min then add another tin of extract, 500g of LDME and a whirlfloc tab at 15 and pitch some t-58 onto it and leave it alone for a few weeks. Should have a an SG of about 1.080 and if I can get it down to 1.018 it should be about 9%..... :D

Ok so I think I've got a handle on this I'm gonna put 8kg in my brew pot and mash them then add enough water to cover bring to the boil then cover and leave to sit for an hour to extract the sugars, if I'm doing a 20L batch this should give me a SG OF 1.022 then since I don't have a free space to put it yet I'll add some gelatine and stick it in the fridge until next week to drop all the sediment and shite out of it then strain it off as gently as I can and use this with my tin of dark roasted malt for a boil using 10g each of hallertau and saaz at 60min and 10g of hallertau at 30min then add another tin of extract, 500g of LDME and a whirlfloc tab at 15 and pitch some t-58 onto it and leave it alone for a few weeks. Should have a an SG of about 1.080 and if I can get it down to 1.018 it should be about 9%..... :D

No...... you are better off fermenting out the beer you want to add the fruit to & then racking the finished beer straight on to the unfrozen fruit, no need for boiling.

Cheers ross

No...... you are better off fermenting out the beer you want to add the fruit to & then racking the finished beer straight on to the unfrozen fruit, no need for boiling.

Cheers ross

Too late I just put it on the stove with 8L waters...... :unsure: have I just wasted it or would my original idea work?

If it were me, I would make beer and use the bananas for bread and cut a bunch up to dry as chips. Banana pancakes are also good as well as muffins.

Making chips is a good way to justify a food dryer as well as a vacuum sealer for hops.

You do not need to grow hops to need a sealer. Just buy large quantities and repack them. The dryer also works for drying spent grain for use in dog snacks and grinding up for use in home made bread. That one will cost you a flower mill for making flour (no good for brewing). I guess you could use a blender as you only need a small amount for making bread.

Vacuum sealers are also good for repackaging bulk meat and other things.

From what I have read, and wb06 yeast gets very bananary if you brew at its higher temp limits

Too late I just put it on the stove with 8L waters...... :unsure: have I just wasted it or would my original idea work?

You wont extract the sugars boiling, you'll need to throw everything in your brew. I don't like the results as much boiling the bananas (I've tried both ways), but it should hopefully still be ok.

Cheers Ross

You wont extract the sugars boiling, you'll need to throw everything in your brew. I don't like the results as much boiling the bananas (I've tried both ways), but it should hopefully still be ok.

Cheers Ross

I wasn't going to boil it I was just going to bring it to the boil and then cover it to do a mash

Back