Aventinus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, no rice hulls.
The way my manifold works with the grain bag over the top in my mash tun seems to mean I can't get a stuck sparge (there I've just put the kiss of death on it).

Also the last beer I made was a Weisse which is 60% wheat malt that I crushed on minimum gap with my Valley Mill (lots of flour) and no stuck sparge.

See this Cooler conversion topic for my cooler conversion.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc, I would expect the little bits to float on top anyway.
I'll post a progress report on this beer. Maybe we could do a swap.

Cheers and bollocks
Mark

Doc,

Were did you get the Mesh Bags from???

Rook

Bought them at a homebrew shop in the US when I was there last.

I've seen them sold as hop bags and grain steeping bags at TCB in Thornleigh once.

Cheers,
Doc

Aventinus is a wheat bock

wheat malt should not cause stuck sparges, RAW wheat, OTOH will!

Here is my recipe:

Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: WY 3056 Bavarian Wheat
Yeast Starter: 3L
Batch Size: 23L
Original Gravity: 1083
Final Gravity: 1021
Alcohol Content: 8 %
Total Grains: 9.5K
Color:
Extract Efficiency: 75% %
Hop IBU's: 25
Boiling Time: 90 mins
Primary Fermentation: 7 days @ 18C
Secondary Fermentation: 4 weeks @ 10C
Additional Fermentation:

Grain Bill:

5.4K Wheat malt
2.1K Pale malt
1.65 Munich malt
350g Cararoma malt
40g Chocolate malt
150g Melanoidin malt

Hop Bill:

100g Hallertau Hersbrucker 2%AA 90 minutes for 25IBU
14g HH last 15 minutes

Mash Schedule:

20 mins @ 50C
60 mins @ 68C
10 mins @ 76C then run off

Brewers Notes:

Pitch at 12C, ferment at 18C

After bottling, warm condition for one week, then cold condition for 3 weeks

I forgot to mention, bein g the modest guy I am :)

That beer won me a silver certificate in the NHC last year, it was already quite aold by then, one of the judges talked about ". . .a nicely aged doppelbock"

Not that I want to boast :)

When young, the flavors exploded into your mouth

Jovial Monk

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Doc, I'm gunna brew my version this weekend.
50% Wheat Malt
47% Munich
2.9% Dark Crystal or CaraAroma
.1% Roasted wheat malt

Bittering of 14 IBU with Tettnang.
Wyeast3056.

I got a question. Did you use any rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge?
This is my first time with so much wheat malt in the grist.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA
I brewed this yesterday. Missed my SG by 4 points. Was aiming for 1070, got 1066. Efficiency was down a bit wether that was due to so much wheat malt in the grist who knows? It's the end result that counts.
I used the wyeast 3056 and it was away within 3 hours of pitching.
Anyway, I am going to age this for 4 to 6 months before trying it. A report will follow.
And also I got to use my new refractometer and second hand PhilMill 1 for the first time. :rolleyes: I love brewing gadgets.

Cheers and bollocks
Mark

Hmmmmm 50% is not really allthat much wheat :)

Aventinus is a doppelbock, a gravity closer to 1080 is the go

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Aventinus is a doppelbock, a gravity closer to 1080 is the go
[style nazi]
I believe it's a Weizen Bock. Differs from doppelbock in that:

- Weizen Ale yeast is used (DB uses a lager yeast)
- 50% or more wheat in grist (DB is all Pale lager malt and/or Munich and Vienna for darker versions)
- OG should be 1.066-1.080+ (I like the + part :) DB should have 1.073-1.120)
[/style nazi]

According to BJCP, the Weizen Bock style was invented by Schneider with the Aventinus, so all beers of this style should be compared to it...

*dons flame suit*

Ummmm didn't make myself clear

should have said the Aventinus is a weizendoppelbock, not a lager type doppelbock

Jovial Monk

Yes, I guess style wise it is a weizenbock. However if it finishes at greater than 7% ABV I can technically call it a weizen dopplebock. This is according to the Cult Classic article in Zymurgy on Aventinus.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Yes, I guess style wise it is a weizenbock. However if it finishes at greater than 7% ABV I can technically call it a weizen dopplebock. This is according to the Cult Classic article in Zymurgy on Aventinus.
I'm pretty anal about styles (as may have been noticed). I'd like to know where the "Weizen DoppelBock" category is in the BJCP guidelines. I see category 17D:WeizenBock which lists Aventinus as a commercial example of the style. It allows for OG of 1.066-1.080+. Note the "+".

Now BJCP is just a guideline for the judging of homebrew competitions in America, so it is not the only source of styles, but to me they seem to have taken care to acknowledge the history and origin of the styles.

It is possible to take stylistic naming license and let the brewer call it whatever they like. So if you have a dark wheat beer of more than 7% ABV, can you call it a Dunkel Weizen Doppelbock? It gets to the point where any beer can have its own category.

Personally I think any dark strong weizen should just be called generically "Weizen Bock" and let the "Bock" part of the title indicate that it is strong and dark.

As I mentioned above, doppelbock came first and is a lager beer. Weizen Bock is an invented weizen style and uses and ale yeast. So they borrowed the name "bock" to indicate it is dark and stronger than the existing dark wheat style "Dunkel Weizen". So is Weizen Doppelbock a lager with 50% wheat in the grist or just a strong ale that stole a lager's name?

A weizenbock should have more than 50% wheat malt

And, yup, AFAIK a lager style name got appropriated by an ale. Then again, a bock was an ale from Einback first :) There are one or two other non-weizen ale bocks too.

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back