AUSTRALIAN rocker Jon English has died.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
Rocker Jon English has died after complications from surgery.
The Australian singer and actor, 66, passed away surrounded by his family, including wife Carmen and their four children.
He was set to tour Australia from May but fell ill two weeks ago, telling fans on Facebook he was to undergo "a small operation" which he expected to fully recover from in weeks.
Born in Hamstead, London in 1949, English came to Australia with his parents and siblings at the age of 12.

The rocker became a household name when he performed as Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar in the 1970s.
He won a Logie Award in 1979 after appearing in Australian series Against the Wind, and starred in sitcom All Together Now in the 1990s alongside Rebecca Gibney.
English's rock hits included Handbags and Gladrags, Hollywood Seven, and Turn the Page, which was released in 1975 and was his first hit.
His last album, English History II, was released in 2001.

The rocker received accolades for his performances on both stage and small screen, starring in productions of Hair, Pirates of Penzance and Hairspray.
A public memorial will be held in English's honour with details to be revealed shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogqWTgOoYOQ

Saw him way back in the day, put on a great show. I also have a copy of his 'Turn the Page' '45 at home with songwriter accredited to 'unknown' before it was corrected to Bob Seeger (sic) on later pressings. The mob who released it must have been a garage operation, although they were out of UnZud.

Onje of my favourite singers of the time due to that song and Hollywood 7.

Mardoo said:
That's two (Ross Hannaford as well - a true musician). Who's the third to be?
I think poor old Malcom Young will be lucky to see the year out.

Sad loss, my first job was part time at Grace Bros in Hornsby, I sold him a cot for one of his kids. Really genuinely nice guy!

Was a regular customer at a bottle shop I managed over a decade ago. Used to buy a bottle Stoli vodka most days. Nice guy.

Ciderman said:
Was a regular customer at a bottle shop I managed over a decade ago. Used to buy a bottle Stoli vodka most days. Nice guy.
Did that happen to be the Tourmaline Hotel bottle shop?

Ciderman said:
Teneriffe, QLD - circa 2002-2004
Nah. This was back in the early nineties. He use to live not far from my folks place and I'd see him shopping there now and then. Liked to bend the elbow it would seem.

Mardoo said:
That's two (Ross Hannaford as well - a true musician). Who's the third to be?
John Farnham maybe ? That'll be a " last time " tour to remember .

rolf. his extra leg's gonna finally give way and he'll keel over. sorry, i forgot, we were looking at talent.
wouldn't wish it on anybody with talent.
but i were thinking about how the likes of tex perkins, judith durham, steve cummings (won more aria best male vocals than john farnham) are all holding up.
i think we're getting to a certain age.

Considering Angry Anderson is the last living original member of Rose Tattoo (out of six..), he must have some staying power. Thats a bigger death toll than the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash!..

The face of wholesome living.

WcHeIGR.jpg

Used to see Jon English around Toormina and Boambee (just south of Coffs Harbour) all the time, he'd been looking pretty haggard and unwell for quite a while
Was a very friendly bloke, always said hello

sp0rk said:
he'd been looking pretty haggard and unwell for quite a while
He'd been looking haggard since 1975...

Latest posts

Back