Attenuation During Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbrewer

Reaction score
I'm after peoples experience in lagering. There doesn't seem to be much specific information in books or the web.

How much attenuation should I plan for after I rack for the lagering period? At the moment I rack with 3-5 gravity points left then the transition from diacetyl rest to lagering takes it down to target gravity.

I suspect I should rack it a bit earlier allowing the yeast to keep slowly converting sugars at low temps. From what I understand keeping the attenuation happening during lagering is what it's all about.

How much attenuation happens during actual lagering?

If it helps, I've been using a Urquell WYeast.

You don't necessarily have to have any attenuation happen during lagering, you can ferment all the way out and then D-rest right in the primary if you like. The beer will still do its thing in the secondary/lager vessel.

My beers go into lagering full attenuated. But then I wait till it's all but stopped before bothering to wind the ferment temp up either (D-rest). The yeast are still working when they're cold, but generally lagering temp is a lot less than fermenting temp, so I don't know that you could trust it to continue attenuating at those temps. You're mostly looking for the yeast to clean up it's own by-products and a big part of it is the dropping of the solids from suspension. Keeping it cold just means there's very little 'aging' of the beer whilst it drops clear.

Back