Artesanal Cerveza in Cordoba, Spain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruzzac

Reaction score
I was given (made to take) three weeks of leave at fairly short notice. So, what should one do but book a return flight to Spain!

After 43 hours of travel, a missed connecting flight, and the airline losing my luggage in Rome (now found), I finally made it to Madrid. First agenda item after checking into my accommodation was to sample the local brew. And I did at a small little bar that only locals where at (the benefits of using Airbnb and having an outgoing host).

Though it was good to finally sink a beer after my trip, I could help feeling underwhelmed. All the popular commercial beers are a fairly light and crisp style that taste watery. They don't really pour with a head, lack depth and any kind of complex flavour profile. And it has been the same throughout my trip so far in Madrid and Barcelona.

Until... stumbling around the alleys of La Juderia in Cordoba, Spain I smell what could only be malt being mashed and boiled. I walked a little further and discovered a little hole in the wall micro-brewery! Cervezas Califa it was called. Letting them know I would only have on beer (it was before 12pm) they recommended me a 6.3% IPA. So, out pours this wonderfully amber brew with a head that didn't seem to die. The aroma and taste was properly malty (caramalt detected) and hoppy (very fruity, citrusy - but couldn't place the type).

KJLqwIw.jpg
5YMKYtq.jpg

Needless to say, I will be visiting this establishment again tonight for another couple of glasses :)

Latest posts

Back