Argh! How To Brew Is Offline!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakub76

Reaction score
I just tried to access the http://www.howtobrew.com/ website but it's offline!

It looks like the domain name has expired. I wonder if it's an oversight or a deliberate move to sell some books - which I completely understand if it is - he deserves to make some coin for all the awesome info he has shared.

Having just bought the 3rd edition I can tell you there is a HEAP more info in it that was in the 1st edition (which was what we all used and loved for so long online). Sad, yes, but as you say he has made such a major contribution for so long, and paying $40 to have the luxury to read it anywhere anytime was worth it for me.

Yeah i got 3rd edition too. only skimmed it.
Whats different?

Just got John Plamers "bible" 3rd edition delivered to my front door for $25,check out www.bookdepository.co.uk lots of other great books at a top price!!!!,by the way only took one week to arrive!!!!!

If your a bit of a tight arse you can still get the old version using the Google cache function.

1. Search 'how to brew john palmer introduction' in google
2. Below the 1st result there should be a link marked 'cache'
3. Click the link and it will go to the old page

Stew

Umm ... not sure what the catch is (if there's one :blink:) but:

The catch is that you're stealing the retail version - not the old version that was online.

The catch is that you're stealing the retail version - not the old version that was online.
BS, just ask the wanker who stole my car two weeks ago, "some one just gave him the key's so it's not stealing". We will see if the judge agrees :lol:
GB

I wouldn't wish what happened to you and your family on a dog but I think you'll find it this still is stealing. Whether anyone is going to lose sleep over it is another matter entirely.

BS, just ask the wanker who stole my car two weeks ago, "some one just gave him the key's so it's not stealing". We will see if the judge agrees :lol:
GB
As said by some bearded man, "do onto others as you would have done to you.." Or something like that.

Just got John Plamers "bible" 3rd edition delivered to my front door for $25,check out www.bookdepository.co.uk lots of other great books at a top price!!!!,by the way only took one week to arrive!!!!!

Cheers mate.

Just ordered it now! :icon_cheers:

If your a bit of a tight arse you can still get the old version using the Google cache function.

1. Search 'how to brew john palmer introduction' in google
2. Below the 1st result there should be a link marked 'cache'
3. Click the link and it will go to the old page

Stew

I had it bookmarked and when you click on it the old page comes up but if you click on a heading it takes you to the default page.

If you have a Kindle or Kindle app for the Iphone/PC/Mac you can get it for US$9.99. You may have to persuade Amazon you are in the US, but there are ways around that.

Also, another big thumbs up for Book Depository. Damned if I know how they can sell books for the price they do.

Yeah i got 3rd edition too. only skimmed it.
Whats different?

Not that I knew the other version word for word (and there were large portions of it that I didn't read as I wasn't at that level) but there seems to be quite a bit more detail on the more "advanced" sections like yeast, malts, hops etc (the basic first few chapters seem similar). I haven't seen the 2nd edition so maybe there is bugger all new content, but there seems to be a bit more up to date detail than was in the first edition which was online.

If you have a Kindle or Kindle app for the Iphone/PC/Mac you can get it for US$9.99. You may have to persuade Amazon you are in the US, but there are ways around that.

Also, another big thumbs up for Book Depository. Damned if I know how they can sell books for the price they do.
Dare I say it : I quess they BULK BUY :ph34r:
Gb

Just buy the ******* thing. It's been online free forever suggesting the guy who wrote it is far more passionate about brewing than he is about profiteering. It's one of the most well explained, comprehensive brewing texts around and is of value to both new brewers and experienced brewers and it can be found, hard copy, delivered to your door for very little cash. I say that as someone who has very little cash most of the time.

The only downside of it not being free online is being able to link new brewers to it for simplicity.

The only downside of it not being free online is being able to link new brewers to it for simplicity.

Ohnoes! Now what won't they even bother clicking?

By the looks of it the domain is not renewed on time, meaning the hosting provider stops hosting the web site.

The whois info for the domain shows it has been updated 05.09.2010, so guessing it is being sorted.

Capture.PNG

thanks
Bjorn

uh-uh...
looks like the actual domain is not renewed?

the domain comes up as available.
Let's hope no one picks it up before Palmer wakes up and smells the hops.
Would be sad to loose the online resource.

Capture2.PNG

Latest posts

Back