Apple Juice in a Doppelbock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermo_47

Reaction score
I have a slightly unusual idea, hoping experienced brewers can shed some light on it for me.

I plan to make an out-of-style Bock-ish thing and add a few litres of apple juice to the boil. I envision a very full, malty red ale around 7% with lovely toasty melanoidins and basically, a hint of apple. However, I'm quite worried that trying to add a dimension of apple will just come out like acetaldehyde. Anyone ever added apple juice to the boil?

My rough idea is along the lines of:

55% BB Ale Malt
30% Munich II
7.5% Carared
7.5% Melanoidin

All 60 min hops to 20 IBU.

2L of preservative free decent quality apple juice in a close-to double batch of 44L.

Thinking of no-chilling 2 cubes and trying two different yeasts - perhaps even one lagered as a Bock and the other fermented as an ale.

I'm not a brewer who is precious about sticking to style - let's not attack on that front - I just want a malty, toasty and slightly appley red beer!

I also haven't brewed with Melanoidin before, so thoughts on that percentage would be great :)

Cheers,

Jon

Forgot to mention that I'm not decoction mashing this time, just 30 mins at 62C and 45mins at 69C with a mashout, but if the flavour concept works well I'd love to try my hand at decoction and a long boil next batch!

Two words.
Pectin haze.

I don't think you'll be getting much out of the juice in the way of flavor anyway.
I fully endorse not sticking to style, but I've found out more than once that there are some rules that need to be followed in order to make a decent product.

Cheers.

Might brew sans-apple and experiment with adding apple chunks etc post ferment.

If u want a red ale use an irish red recipe. Im not sure about dopplebock.
If u want flavour I wouldnt add it to the boil. No reason to add it there. Just add to primary or secondary.
Apple chuncks impart veru very very little flavour. U just dont get flavour extraction

What about starting by making a doppelbock and a cider and blending post fermentation to see if the flavours work before committing a full batch to it?

I like it scon, that's more along the lines of what I'm thinking. I do like Billy B's Apple Ales (both dark and golden) and have even considered a post-ferment blend with a touch of funky yeast action - just souring it slightly. No experience with brett etc, but there's a first time for everything!

Back