Apparently Ipa Isnt A Session Beer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday
Was lucky enough to score myself an invite last to last nights tasting launch of the HopMonster IPA at Potters brewery in the hunter valley. There were a couple of AHB guys there, Les the weizguy, n00ch, Keith, myself and Tony. Was good to finally meet Tony, though I didnt get to talk to him much. Anyway, the beer was excellent, a lovely copper colour, with plenty of hop aroma and flavour. The hops were grown on premises there, and I think there are about 8 hops in all! For the fact that you have no real idea of the AA% in home grown hops, and the fact there was so many put in, it is disgustingly well balanced, with plenty of malt to stand up to the substantial bitterness. Goes down like a treat too. BUT, at 6.5% you have to be careful. Which I wasnt. We all decided that IPA isnt renowned for being a session beer, so we would see if it could be. There was no drinking games, just typical session style drinking, and I would be lying if I said I could remember leaving the pub to head back (on foot) to my accomodation! At least I dont remember the end of the State of Oranges either, so I can live in denial. :( I am pretty sure the other boys fared similar to me aswell.
So, if you are after a session beer, IPA is probably not the way to go. If you are up in the hunter, though, grab yaself a bottle or 3 of the HopMonster, its really, really good. Big thanks to the crew at Potters for putting on a great party with a roast pork dinner. Great way to spend an evening.
No affilliation, etc....
All the best
Trent

Being a novocastrian I have heard a fair bit about this beer through Keith and can't wait to get my hands on an bottle or so. Really enjoyed the 2ipa at murrays/the pub with no beer. Looking forward to seeing what teh fresh hop oils do to a beer.

Leeboy
Although this is a very nice beer, with plenty of hops, the 2IPA is alot more potent with hop flavour and aroma. there is alot of hops in the hopmonster, but the Icon 2IPA I believe is basically hopped till the system cannot take another gram! But if you liked it, you will certainly like the hopmonster. I bought a few bottles home with me (thanks Luke!). See if ya can pick the hop types :lol:
All the best
Trent

Latest posts

Back