Apa Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am most wanting to use up the chinook flowers, what would be best suited for them. i dont want to over power them, i want to be able to notice them.

Use the chinook for the 15 minute boil as this is the where your flavours are promoted. with an APA you want to use the bigger amounts of hops in the flavour and aroma sectors of your hop boil. Several good APA's actually invert the hop bill i.e. 30 g 60 minutes 45 g 15 minutes 55g 1 minute. (these are not exact amounts and are for illustration purposes only.) as a true APA doesn't call for excessive bittering like the australian versions, and concentrate more on the complex flavors and aromas that the hops exhibit so above all DO NOT put too much galaxy in for your bittering. I personally run a lot of my recipes through the beertools.com calculator this will enable you to work out the exact amounts of hops you need to meet your desired IBU's.

trav

Back