Anyone Worked In Qatar Or The Middle East?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not a blue collar role so i dont have to worry so much abouy that.
Id be eating local food wtc. I hate chain junk food.
Would u work therr again TDA?

Given the opportunity I would happily work there again.
How long would you be going for cm2?

I worked FIFO in Qatar back in 1988 before they had bars in hotels. Expats with a residence permit could get a liquor licence with a monthly allowance.
Expats live mostly in compounds in and around Doha in European style villas. Temperatures in Summer reach into the 40s with high humidity due to the Gulf.
Since the discovery of one of the world's biggest gas deposits the Qataries have gone crazy and built huge concrete shopping malls and buildings copying the Dubai style.

Restaurants and shopping are no problems with just about anything you want supplied. You will be spoiled for choice.
Don't know how prices are these days but groceries were more expensive for western types than here.

The Qatar people are quite hospitable and fairly easy to get on with.
If you ended up housed in one of the compounds you would live extremely well with swimming pools and sporting facilities. Most expat families hire a housemaid and gardener from either India or Philipines. In the privacy of a compound there are no dress restrictions for women so they can laze the time away lying round the pool while the maid cleans the house.

I have worked in Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi, UAE and Oman and Qatar used to be one of more liberal Arab Countries.

BTW drinking in hotels is very expensive If Dubai is an example.. Back then we went to a private villa in the middle of nowhere the liquor store run by Cable and Wireless to get our supplies. If you have a liquor licence then everything is cheap as duty free.

I worked FIFO in Qatar back in 1988 before they had bars in hotels. Expats with a residence permit could get a liquor licence with a monthly allowance.
Expats live mostly in compounds in and around Doha in European style villas. Temperatures in Summer reach into the 40s with high humidity due to the Gulf.
Since the discovery of one of the world's biggest gas deposits the Qataries have gone crazy and built huge concrete shopping malls and buildings copying the Dubai style.

Restaurants and shopping are no problems with just about anything you want supplied. You will be spoiled for choice.
Don't know how prices are these days but groceries were more expensive for western types than here.

The Qatar people are quite hospitable and fairly easy to get on with.
If you ended up housed in one of the compounds you would live extremely well with swimming pools and sporting facilities. Most expat families hire a housemaid and gardener from either India or Philipines. In the privacy of a compound there are no dress restrictions for women so they can laze the time away lying round the pool while the maid cleans the house.

I have worked in Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi, UAE and Oman and Qatar used to be one of more liberal Arab Countries.

BTW drinking in hotels is very expensive If Dubai is an example.. Back then we went to a private villa in the middle of nowhere the liquorl store run by Cable and Wireless to get our supplies. If you have a liquor licence then everything is cheap as duty free.
Awsome, cheers. Thats what i was after actual experiance (and also thx to others).
Ive done the internet research but wanted to hear from 'real people' not just net reviews.
Yup villas incl as part of the package. Working in their health sector. /running it.
I understand it to be a 2yr contract to begin with. And im aware u cant leave unless ur employer signs your exit visa paperwork.

not happy about the humidity though. I knew it was hot but didnt see anything about humidity. I hate humidity. But like singapore etc they will have air con at work home cars etc.

My biggest concern is how my wife and 3 daughters will go. the missus has a lot of concerns.

The missus should love it there are loads of expat families to meet on the compounds. Schools are supposed to be good as well mostly run with expat labour. Not sure schooling is covered as part of the package worth checking might be pricy. Health Services are first class the Qataries have to have the best money can buy and so import all the foreign expertise. I used to go to a Norweigan dentist and they had the latest equipment.

It will be a big change in lifestyle probably for the better and 2 years is not that bad if it is not to your liking or the families.
Definitely worth serious thought might be the opportunity of a lifetime and you will not be in any hurry to want to come home.

There is Skype to keep in touch with folks at home it makes the world really small.

I didn't see any negatives but then I am single and was doing FIFO.

The missus should love it there are loads of expat families to meet on the compounds. Schools are supposed to be good as well mostly run with expat labour. Not sure schooling is covered as part of the package worth checking might be pricy. Health Services are first class the Qataries have to have the best money can buy and so import all the foreign expertise. I used to go to a Norweigan dentist and they had the latest equipment.

It will be a big change in lifestyle probably for the better and 2 years is not that bad if it is not to your liking or the families.
Definitely worth serious thought might be the opportunity of a lifetime and you will not be in any hurry to want to come home.

There is Skype to keep in touch with folks at home it makes the world really small.

I didn't see any negatives but then I am single and was doing FIFO.
If i was single i wouldnt thibk twice.

All good. Will wait and see what happens

Latest posts

Back