Anyone Know Where I Can Get Some Wyeast 1469?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've heard good things about Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire).....I'd like to use it in a couple of recipes, particularly Dr Smurto's Landlord and Screwy's Red Ale recipe.

I'm finding it a bit hard to find at the moment....anyone know of any retailers that still have it? Beerbelly don't and Craftbrewer is out too.

Cheers

Molly

Hi Molly,

I and a few others around Adelaide have this on slants if interested.

Send me a PM if you are comfortable with stepping up slants.

Cheers!

Hi guys

I've heard good things about Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire).....I'd like to use it in a couple of recipes, particularly Dr Smurto's Landlord and Screwy's Red Ale recipe.

I'm finding it a bit hard to find at the moment....anyone know of any retailers that still have it? Beerbelly don't and Craftbrewer is out too.

Cheers

Molly

I have an unsmacked pack of it in my fridge.

Happy to smack it and split it in 2 and give you half. No cost.

I'm brewing a Landlord next weekend so had planned on smacking it this weekend to make sure it was happy.

I'm brewing a Landlord next weekend so had planned on smacking it this weekend to make sure it was happy.

Jackpot Molly!

Pitch a nice big active starter, and skim for future use.

Screwy

For those Adelaide brewers that were a part of the Winter Swap, Butters bitter was brewed with 1469, from a first gen slant I believe, and it is bottle conditioned. :icon_cheers:
Nige

Well that is most considerate and generous Dr Smurto!

Of course I wouldn't turn up empty handed....just picked myself up a mixed 6-pack of the Sierra Nevada range from Uncle Dan's ....Happy to smack that and split it in 2 and give you half.....No cost!

I'll PM you shortly.

Cheers

Molly

You've been sitting on that smackpack too long Dr!

Cracking yeast it is.

I've got about 12 vials of it home, and a fresh layer of it in a secondary which I'll split off on the weekend. If only our wonderful friends at WYeast made it premanently available to us Aussies who love using 1469 wouldn't that be awesome!!!! ;) Perhaps its time to make our love for 1469 know to both WYeast and our local retailers and with enough pressure perhap the dream could come true..... :D

Always nice to hear someone getting hooked up with some of this yeast... i was just mentioning last night i've had my 1469 going since receiving a couple of slants last year around September... still got 2 slants and a couple of jars under water in the fridge.

Bloody WYeast is costing themselves business not releasing it more often... or perhaps once the exclusivity of this yeast is established, they release it as a regular and reap the rewards. I dunno... makes good beer is all i know.

Bloody WYeast is costing themselves business not releasing it more often... or perhaps once the exclusivity of this yeast is established, they release it as a regular and reap the rewards. I dunno... makes good beer is all i know.

We will have very limited new stock Tuesday week, & next year (after a lot of lobbying) I'm pleased to announce it will become a permanent strain.

cheers Ross

Always nice to hear someone getting hooked up with some of this yeast... i was just mentioning last night i've had my 1469 going since receiving a couple of slants last year around September... still got 2 slants and a couple of jars under water in the fridge.

I emailed Wyeast a few weeks ago about 1469 the said they "might" be releasing some towards the end of the year :angry:

I emailed Wyeast a few weeks ago about 1469 the said they "might" be releasing some towards the end of the year :angry:

...& if you look up 3 posts you'll see that's happening, though a little early than indicated :)

cheers Ross

Oh I just couldn't decide which way I wanted to go with this so I had a bet each way.

You must have a very big zoom lens ..... I thought what happens in my own yard is PRIVATE! She broke a few of my strings too...not happy Jan!

...next year (after a lot of lobbying) I'm pleased to announce it will become a permanent strain.
It's permanently on slants in my fridge, but that's good news for all the people who are fans of this yeast. :)

Just emailed them to ask about whether it might be so that's great news.

Hopefully Ross' info is the full picture. Just thought I'd post the reply I got to my email which suggests they are considering it but might not yet be committed. When it next gets released, make sure you buy up big.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:41 PM
To: Customerservice
Subject: Question From Wyeast Labs website for I have general question

QUESTION:
Just wondering if there is ever any intention to make WY 1469 a general release rather than a PC.

While it may not be a large number in terms of your overall customer base, I do know a lot of homebrewers who love the yeast and hang onto slants, top crop and/or reproduce in other ways because it's so hard to get hold of.

Thanks

Andrew

................................................................................
.................................................................................
Andrew,

Thanks for the e-mail. We are looking at that possibility. 1469 will be in our 4th quarter PC line-up, and
if sales there are good, we may consider bringing it into our year-round catalog.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
P.O. Box 146
Odell, OR 97044 USA
Phone: 541-354-1335 Fax: 541-354-3449
[email protected]
www.wyeastlab.com

Back