Anyone Been To Canada Latey?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
Going to be in Canada for a couple of weeks soon and was wondering if anyone has been there lately? Did a search and nothing seems to have been posted for about 3 years. Will be in Toronto and Ottawa. Looks like there is a few craft breweries around but does anyone have any first hand experience?

My only suggestion is to ignore toronto and head east. Ontario as a province is really just an extension of american culture over the border. In terms of big cities Montreal is a much more enjoyable place to be, and Unibroue isn't far either.

Cheers for the tip mate. unfortunately its a work trip so i have no choice but to spend the first week in Toronto. Second week I will be stuck around the Ottawa area. Hmmmm must start searching for brew bars in the area then.

Hi

Was there 2 years ago for about 4 weeks, my brothers ex was from Toronto. Spent most of my time in Toronto, and then a night in Vancouver on the way back home.

I can recommend the Mill St Brewery, its in the old whiskey distillery district. The coffee porter was good.

Also you cannot leave Toronto without visiting C'est What, its near the markets, just a bit up from them. It can be a little hard to find from memory there's a little door not marked too well and its down a set of stairs. They have two huge bars with lots of craft beer on tap (40-50 from memory). Most of them are local small independent Ottawa craftbrewers and even some homebrewers, the beer menu changes all the time.

There's also Steam Whistle brewery in front of the CN Tower, only one beer a pilsner, the tours not bad and you get a free beer at the end of it. The beer was a bit ordinary...

Don't expect too much from the local bottleshops (The LCBO and The Beershop) they are goverment run, Ottawa has some very restrictive alcohol licencing, its difficult to find good craft beer there (It could have changed).

Oh and be sure to visit a Timmy Horton's (Worst coffee apart from Starbucks, but the Canadians love it).

I haven't been 'home' in a while, but whilst there, I have to say, I was spoiled with choice. here's a quick Link that you can get some sort of idea for what's where, and if you are looking for craft variety for take-away (i.e. the room), find the largest LCBO (not the Beer store). They have the most selection for your connoisseur.

Some great places in Vancouver if you can get there, but internal flights are riduclously expensive. Food is awesome too.

Bar Volo in Toronto is the best. The owner Ralph is a good bloke and so are some of the locals. Dieu du Ciel from Montreal make some good beers but Ican't remember what bars to find them in.

+1 for avoiding Toronto and heading to Montral

We were having $7 corked 750ml Unibroue beers from a place that was a basically a milk bar. Loved Montreal.

Toronto
CN Tower was good (no beer)
Mill St brewery was good, its a massive open air place with 15ft glass walls to keep the brewery separated but no roof on the brewery, It was quite hot in there as they were brewing at the time we went in and they had just dumped the hops in as we arrived, this mrs had to take a step back it was so pungent. the only thing i didn't like was they had a beer called a Stock ale (I got excited) that was actually a cream ale to memory.

In Ottawa I didn't find much in the way of beer but we were on the Ontario side, Head over the bridge to the Quebec side and the Liqour laws are much less controlled. More chance of finding a nice beer I think as LCBO (liquor control board something) has bugger all.

Bloody hell!! thanks for all the awesome advice fellow AHB'ers. I will be sure to post my adventures here whilst over there and when I get back. Cant wait to get over there. nothing like a free trip. :p

do your self a favour, and apply online for a 12 month working holiday maker visa, and drink yourself accross canada visiting as many breweries, micro breweries, and brew pubs as you can find - and steer clear of the voodoo wings at the jasper brewing company - i enjoyed there brews so much i named my third born after the town!

yeah thanks for that Duke!! mmmmm fosters. will steer clear of that brew I think. Now anymore posts like that mate and i wont be brining anything back for you. except maybe a Canadian brewed fosters :p

Hey Cats,
Just got back from Canada this week and had a blast drinking a few great Ontario craft beers. The quality has massively improved in the past 12-18mths. The Retail side is still terrible but it's a bit better. Go to the LCBO, not the Beer Store. They're the only two options to buy bottled beers. My faves right now are:

- Beau's Beaver River
- Flying Monkey Netherworld
- Wellington Russian Imperial Stout
- Neustadt 10W30W Northern Brown

In Toronto proper the Granite Brewery is an institution and well worth checking out. There's a free Iphone app called Ontario Craft Breweries that is pretty bad but does give info in terms of beers and locations.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dereck

Back